Career Support

La Trobe University provides support for career development and helping with employment opportunities for all our students.

Careers and Opportunities

Our Career Ready team help students explore career outcomes and provide programs to help develop good employment seeking skills.

Services offered:

Resources in the Careers and Employment office

Please see our Careers and Opportunities website for more information about career planning, accessing our job database, careers events and for advice on resume writing and interview skills.

Stand out from the crowd

La Trobe also offers programs to develop employability skills. These include:

  • Industry Mentoring and Networking program - matches you with someone who has experience in your field of interest and can share their knowledge and provide you with guidance and support.
  • Volunteering and Leadership Opportunities - enables you to develop practical skills and gain a greater insight into what goes on in the workplace.
  • Many courses at La Trobe offer programs that offer practical experience in an industry related to your studies. These will vary depending on which course you are studying. Please note there may be visa implications as outlined below.
  • Work Integrated Learning and Placements
    • Gain valuable industry experience and get academic credit at the same time.
    • Industry-based learning
    • Work with an industry partner on a project within your course of study.
    • Clinical and education placements are a component of many courses in health sciences and education.

Australian Government and visa requirements

All student visas granted from April 2008 include work rights (condition 8105). International students can work a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight, during semester, or unlimited hours during official University vacations. All student visas granted from April 2008 include work rights (condition 8105).

International Students and Work Rights in Australia

As an international student you and your family members have work rights on your student visa.

How many hours can I work?

According to the Australian Government’s Department of Home Affairs, international students on student visas undertaking a degree by coursework (Bachelor degree, or Masters by coursework) are entitled to work 40 hours a fortnight when University is in session, and unlimited hours when the University is on break.

A student undertaking a full research degree (Masters by research or PHD) may work unlimited hours during their studies in Australia. In both cases students can only start working after their course has commenced.

Visit the Department of Home Affairs website for more information.

Proving to your employer you have work rights

Your employer may ask you to prove your work rights. You can download this letter from La Trobe University to show them.

If you need something more personalised then you can request a To Whom It May Concern Letter. This costs $40 and can take 15 working days.

Your work rights

Everyone in Australia, including international students, have basic rights and protections at work. The Fair Work Ombudsman makes sure your rights are protected. You are entitled to minimum wages and fair conditions. Read more at the Fair Work website.

Help finding work

La Trobe University’s Career Hub is a great place to start, to get help with your CV, interview skills and finding work.

Resources for international students and working in Australia