vet2prm vet practice management
VETERINARY PRACTICE MANAGEMENT
Credit points: 15
In this subject, students will be taught key business concepts as they relate to veterinary practice management in the areas of human, physical and resources management. During their work integrated learning placement, students will apply theoretical concepts into practice. They will assist experienced nurses and veterinarians with stock management, care and maintenance of physical resources, and routine financial resources management. Students will learn appropriate professional communication techniques, including methods of conflict resolution, so as to aid in the management of a veterinary practice.
SchoolSchool of Life Sciences
Subject Co-ordinatorDilhani Premaratna
Available to Study Abroad StudentsNo
Subject year levelYear Level 2 - UG
Prerequisites Must be admitted in the Bachelor of Veterinary Nursing (SBVN)
|Author and Year
|Managing a Veterinary Practice 2nd Ed
|Jevring-Back, C & Back, E (2006)
Graduate capabilities & intended learning outcomes
01. Identify relevant legislation and protocols that apply to the management of veterinary practices
- Students are given guidance on how to go about searching for legislation relevant to veterinary practice management as part of their pre-workshop reading and preparation. During the workshop, student teams work together to search for the relevant legislation, and develop a list of practice management aspects, and then match these areas with any relevant legislation.
02. Develop plans for the sustainable and compliant management of the physical, human and financial resources elements of a veterinary practice
- During a workshop, student teams discuss (based on understanding built through preparatory reading) what is meant by sustainable practice management, and consider how this applied to the individual areas of physical, human and financial resources management in a veterinary practice. Lecturer then calls for various teams to share their thoughts with the whole class.
03. Manage and lead others in the workplace to work as a team, using a problem solving, empathetic and professional approach
- Students are given readings and video links to prepare for the workshop, and student teams then undertake as a learning exercise, a number of role play scenarios, in which they aim to manage and lead others in a veterinary workplace setting. For their assessment task, students reflect upon the personnel management choices they made within the role plays, and how they think they could be further improved in the future.
04. Create an instructional guide for veterinary team members as a resource for undertaking a range of practice management tasks
- Student selects a practice management task of interest from a list supplied by the tutor. They research the steps required to correctly perform this task, and then plan how they can instruct others in these steps in a clear, concise and logical manner.
Select to view your study options…
Epping, 2019, Semester 1, Blended
Maximum enrolment sizeN/A
Subject Instance Co-ordinatorDilhani Premaratna
WorkShopWeek: 10 - 22
One 3.0 hours workshop per week on weekdays during the day from week 10 to week 22 and delivered via face-to-face.
Placement - Off SiteWeek: 10 - 22
One 2.0 hours placement - off site per week on weekdays during the day from week 10 to week 22 and delivered via face-to-face.
Unscheduled Online ClassWeek: 10 - 22
One 1.0 hours unscheduled online class per week on any day including weekend during the day from week 10 to week 22 and delivered via online.
"Delivered as reading material, quizzes, video clips."
|10 x 5 min pre-workshop online quizzes (850-words equivalent)
|2% each Weeks 2 - 12
|Stock Management Instructional Guide (800-words equivalent)
|Students to develop an instructional guide for stock management for a veterinary clinic
|12-minute Team oral presentation and team written plan (1200 words equivalent total/student)
|Team of 4 students Create a plan for a key area of practice management for a veterinary clinic Team Oral presentation = 15%, 3 minutes/ member, 600 words equivalent/person; Team Practice Management plan = 15%, 600 words equivalent/person
|Personnel Management Role Play Assessment and Reflective Report (1400 words equivalent total)
|Individual Assessment Task Role play # In a one on one role play situation, students assume a management role within a veterinary practice team, and role play problem solving, caring and professional management approaches and interactions = 15%, 10 minutes/student, 600 words equivalent; Reflective Report - individual student reflects upon their personnel management approach choices in these scenarios, exami