CLINICAL FOOT ANKLE ORTHOTICS
Credit points: 15
In this subject, students will apply knowledge and skills in the assessment, prescription, casting, fabrication, alignment and evaluation of ankle foot orthoses. Students are required to complete projects addressing the assessment, prescription, fabrication and optimisation of orthotic management of the foot and ankle. Within this subject, students will apply orthotic theory, clinical assessment skills, anatomy, pathology and biomechanics relevant to ankle-foot orthotic management. Students are required to demonstrate effective communication skills with clients and colleagues
SchoolSchool Allied Health,Human Serv & Sport
Subject Co-ordinatorNathan Collins
Available to Study Abroad StudentsYes
Subject year levelYear Level 4 - UG/Hons/1st Yr PG
Prerequisites Must be admitted in: HZPOTC AND must have passed POR3CAT and HBS2SUM; OR Must be admitted in: HMCPO and no other rules apply.
Graduate capabilities & intended learning outcomes
01. Use initiative and judgement to safely undertake a clinical assessment of the lower limb in regards to musculoskeletal and neurological function
- Assess student peer. Assess volunteer client. Prescibe prefabricated device for volunteer client based on assessment findings.
02. Safely conduct a lower limb cast and orthotic fitting of a client's lower limb, and demonstrate understanding of appropriate lower limb alignment
- Take a cast of student peer. Take a cast of volunteer client. Fit student peer, adjust orthosis range of motion.
03. With responsibility and accountability plan and safely undertake a range of orthotic fabrication techniques, including fitting, adjustment and optimisation of contemporary foot and ankle foot orthotic management
- Perform outcome measures with student peer. Fabricate ankle-foot orthosis and adjust range of motion of device. Prescribe orthotic management for volunteer client.
Select to view your study options…
Melbourne, 2019, Semester 2, Day
Maximum enrolment sizeN/A
Subject Instance Co-ordinatorNathan Collins
One 4.0 hours practical per week on weekdays during the day from week 31 to week 43 and delivered via face-to-face.
One 3.0 hours laboratory class per week on weekdays during the day from week 31 to week 43 and delivered via face-to-face.
"Independent laboratory session"
|One ankle foot orthosis and fitting report (1,500-words equivalent)||40||01, 02, 03|
|One ankle foot orthosis optimisation and outcomes testing report (1,500 words equivalent)||40||01, 02, 03|
|One prescription exercise (750-words equivalent)||20||01, 03|