PHARMACY HONOURS PROJECT A
Credit points: 15
PHA4PHA is one of a suite of subjects which students must complete to qualify for the bachelor of Pharmacy Honours. The aim of these subjects is to provide students with a thorough introduction to the process of conducting research. After review of the relevant literature, students will, in conjunction with an academic staff supervisor, refine a research question and research design. The method used in the project will depend on the research question. It may involve literature evaluation, experimental or empirical study, case study, theoretical or inferential work, survey etc. Students will plan their research project, collect and analyse data, then give an oral presentation and write a research paper that demonstrates their capacity to conceptualise, conduct and report a research project.
SchoolSchool of Molecular Sciences/LIMS
Subject Co-ordinatorMichael Angove
Available to Study Abroad StudentsYes
Subject year levelYear Level 4 - UG/Hons/1st Yr PG
Prerequisites PHE3PHR and approval of the course coordinator
Graduate capabilities & intended learning outcomes
01. Define a problem or task through construction of a project brief, generate creative ideas and apply decision-making skills to develop a research plan and work schedule.
- Submit a research proposal and plan which sets out the scope and goals of the project and the methods by which students plan to achieve their goals.
02. Work independently and demonstrate an understanding of research methodology conducting a research project under limited supervision, and critically analyzing and reporting the results using academic conventions including referencing, layout and use of appropriate academic terminology.
- Conduct research project with some guidance from supervisor. Effectively plan and manage time to complete an individual research report. Present seminars and conduct an oral defence of the research work.
03. Communicate research findings in a logical and understandable way in written and oral form to a general audience.
- Complete a research report, give oral presentations via seminar, write a research proposal.
04. Demonstrate a capacity to search and critically evaluate research literature by conducting a rigorous literature search and written review.
- Complete a research plan and proposal which includes an extensive literature review.
05. Defend the approach taken to solving a research question when queried
- Conduct an oral defence of research project and work.
Select to view your study options…
Bendigo, 2019, Week 07-28, Day
Maximum enrolment sizeN/A
Subject Instance Co-ordinatorMichael Angove
Three 1.0 hours lecture per study period on weekdays during the day from week 07 to week 09 and delivered via face-to-face.
"1 day per week"
Three 2.0 hours workshop per study period on weekdays during the day from week 07 to week 09 and delivered via face-to-face.
"1 day per week"
Unscheduled Online Class
Six 2.0 hours unscheduled online class per study period on any day including weekend during the day from week 07 to week 09 and delivered via online.
One 2.0 hours independent research per week on any day including weekend during the day from week 07 to week 28 and delivered via blended.
|Oral defence (15 minutes, 1500 words)||10||03, 05|
|Research proposal (3,500 words)||At the end of the project the entire body of project work from PHA4PHA, PHA4PHB and PHA4PHC will be evaluated and a project mark and grade will be recorded against these three subjects.||20||01, 03, 04|
|Research report (6,000 words)||60||01, 02, 03, 04, 05|
|Seminar presentation (10 minutes, 1000 words)||10||03, 05|