ele5nsd network system design
NETWORK SYSTEM DESIGN
Not currently offered
Credit points: 15
The subject uses network modeling and simulation as a tool for students to analyse and design a wide a range of network technologies. The lectures refreshes students on some network technologies and their applications. The labs introduces students to OPNET modeler, a network simulation software; modeling fundamentals of networks and protocols; designing and building of networks in OPNET Modeler; an understanding of the limitations in a simulation environment. Students also analyse applications based traffic generation and its impact on a given network design providing them with skills to have an analytical approach to network design, engineering and operations.
SchoolSchool Engineering&Mathematical Sciences
Subject Co-ordinatorRobert Ross
Available to Study Abroad StudentsYes
Subject year levelYear Level 5 - Masters
Incompatible subjects ELE5NDE
Graduate capabilities & intended learning outcomes
01. Describe the fundamentals and applications of various network technologies.
- Lectures equip students with fundamentals of the technologies used in that week's lab. Lab exercises queries student understanding.
02. Characterise network hardware and traffic flows.
- Labs use packet capture software to instruct students on characterising real traffic flows and underlying networks.
03. Analyse the basics of modeling and the limitations of a simulation environment.
- lab exercises demonstrates the differences between the results obtained from a discrete event simulation and that of real world.
Select to view your study options…