edu5cla connecting learning
CONNECTING LEARNING: WORKING WITH MUSEUMS AND GALLERIES TO DEEPEN ARTS AND HUMANITIES LEARNING
Not currently offered
Credit points: 15
Museums and galleries are cultural organisations which have ongoing and deep relationships with education.They provide rich learning experiences to extend classroom learning as well as outside the classroom. At these sites we are invited to connect to history and ideas that stimulate curiosity through objects, collections and exhibitions. This subject focuses on understanding how museums and galleries and their education programs stimulate learning opportunities for primary students and support ongoing professional development for teachers. Exploration is made into the reasons for engaging with galleries and museums and how they can influence learning while investigating the complexities of access to resources that support discipline areas and integrated curriculum practices. By looking at object based pedagogy to support arts this subject focuses on broadening how learning can be stimulated and how it can be taken back to the classroom while increasing familiarity with National Gallery of Victoria, the Melbourne and Immigration Museums as well as other national cultural organisations.
SchoolSchool of Education
Subject Co-ordinatorScott Alterator
Available to Study Abroad StudentsNo
Subject year levelYear Level 5 - Masters
|Author and Year
Graduate capabilities & intended learning outcomes
01. Interact with museums and galleries in the capacity as a teacher while reflecting upon how their practice impacts learning
- Introduction to cultural studies
02. Work outside of the classroom to engage student learning.
- Role of educators in museums and galleries
03. Access resources both onsite and digital to build professional strategies and pedagogy.
- Becoming familiar with online resources of museums and galleries
04. Modify integration and inquiry models of curriculum to address learning outcomes connected to areas of arts, and other areas such as, literacy, numeracy, science, humanities and technology influenced by current curriculum documents.
- Inquiry curriculum and resources that can be accessed across sites to support Australian Curriculum
05. Compare multimodal literacies in the context of a museum and gallery to examine the relationship between objects, exhibitions and reading the stories while making connections and interpretations.
- Site visits to National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne Museum, Immigration Museum and Scienceworks (equivalence to online tours of museums and galleries)
Select to view your study options…