edu4ima issues in ed a teaching
ISSUES IN EDUCATION A - TEACHING AND LEARNING
Not currently offered
Credit points: 15
In this subject students study current research in teaching and learning. Material covered is categorized under the following headings: The Process of Learning; Teaching and Diversity; Relationships with Students including Management and Discipline; Literacy and Numeracy.
SchoolSchool of Education
Subject Co-ordinatorAlan Mclean
Available to Study Abroad StudentsYes
Subject year levelYear Level 4 - UG/Hons/1st Yr PG
|Author and Year
|Effective Teaching: Evidence and practice
|Muijs, D & Reynolds, D
|SAGE PUBLICATIONS 2005
|Learning to Teach new times, new practices
|Latham, G et al
|OXFORD UNIVERSITY PRESS, 2007
|Teaching Challenges and Dilemmas
|Groundwater-Smith, S., Ewing, R., & Le Cornu R.,
|(ONLINE TEXT) THOMSON, MELBOURNE, 2003
|Teaching and Learning in indigenous education
|OXFORD UNIVERSITY PRESS, 2008
Graduate capabilities & intended learning outcomes
01. Observe and compare approaches to the teaching of literacy and numeracy in the early and middle years of primary school
- Students will spend nine days observing in a year 1-2 classroom and then a year 3-4 classroom to develop understandings of pedagogy and practice associated with the teaching of literacy, numeracy and its integration with ICT.
02. Access and critically reflect on learning materials associated with issues associated with the process of learning, teaching and diversity and planning for teaching
- Students will attend intensive workshops to learn about planning for teaching and learning management theory and practice. Students will engage with material in online modules to learn about key ideas in how learning occurs and the implications for teaching- and then reflect on that material.
03. Critically review current literature on two of three topics associated with catering for student diversity
- Students will research and critically review literature on catering for student diversity in areas of special needs, gifted and gender education. This material will also be shared in discussion both online and in face to face intensives.
Select to view your study options…