TEACHING PRACTICE A
Credit points: 15
In this subject, participants observe students and teachers at work and undertake supervised teaching practice in order to gain insight into what is involved in school-based teaching in specific method areas. Students are placed in a school for 15 days under the supervision of a qualified teacher. During this placement they will teach a minimum of four classes in the first of their method areas, and will spend the remainder of the time in observation, tutoring and other associated duties. They are expected to explore the texts and materials that are used in their subject area, the different ways in which teachers and students approach the unit, the level of engagement of students, the ways in which student work is assessed and the level of resourcing of this unit area in the school. Prior to commencement of the compulsory professional placement, students will attend campus-based lecture/seminars to prepare for the professional placement.
SchoolSchool of Education
Subject Co-ordinatorMyrna McRae
Available to Study Abroad StudentsNo
Subject year levelYear Level 2 - UG
Prerequisites This subject is only available to students enrolled in AZAAE, SZSSE, AZATS or SZSTS double degrees.
|Resource Type||Title||Resource Requirement||Author and Year||Publisher|
|Readings||Teaching: making a difference,||Recommended||Churchill, R. et al||WILEY 2010|
Graduate capabilities & intended learning outcomes
01. Developed an understanding of themselves as a beginning pre-service teacher.
02. Develped skills in reflective practice appropriate to a second year pre-service teacher.
03. Closely observed and evaluated a wide range of teachers' practices especially in relation to informing their own future practice.
04. Practiced a range of pedagogical strategies in the classroom.
05. Identified the sources of and used a range of educational resources and media.
06. Experienced a wide range of students and implemented appropriate classroom management strategies.
07. Developed skills in lesson planning and the translation of these plans into action.
08. Experienced a range of classroom environments.
09. Observed the characteristic systems and cultures of a school.
Select to view your study options…
Melbourne, 2019, Week 29-46, Day
Maximum enrolment sizeN/A
Subject Instance Co-ordinatorMyrna McRae
Placement - Off Site
One 15.0 days placement - off site per study period on weekdays during the day from week 29 to week 46 and delivered via face-to-face.
One 1.0 days workshop per study period on weekdays during the day from week 29 to week 46 and delivered via face-to-face.
|Professional Experience||Professional experience is a compulsory professional requirement. Students must meet or exceed expectations on their placement in order to pass this subject.||01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09|
|1. Unit outline and two lesson plans (800 words equivalent)||30||01, 02, 03, 04|
|2a. Lesson Plans, Observation Records (400 words equiv.) 2b. Reflective Writing (2750 words equiv.)||70||01, 02, 03, 04|