PERVASIVE NETWORK DESIGN
Credit points: 15
This subject covers key applications and technological challenges in Mobile Ad Hoc and Wireless Sensor Networks: Routing Protocol Design and Security. Here students learn the design and security aspects of proactive and reactive routing protocols, such as DSDV, AODV, OLSR, DSR, SPIN, LEACH, TEEN and Directed Diffusion. Students will also learn how to use OPNET to evaluate the performance of AODV, OLSR and DSR.
SchoolSchool Engineering&Mathematical Sciences
Subject Co-ordinatorBen Soh
Available to Study Abroad StudentsYes
Subject year levelYear Level 4 - UG/Hons/1st Yr PG
Prerequisites Must have passed CSE5NEF OR admission in SMICT, SMCSC or SMTNE.
Graduate capabilities & intended learning outcomes
01. Demonstrate the usefulness of ad hoc networking and various issues with respect to ad hoc networking.
- Teaching and lab classes from Week 1 to Week 4 deal with in-depth analysis of various challenges in ad hoc networking, the participating mobile devices and the use of ad hoc networking.
02. Compare and contrast infrastructure based networking versus ad hoc networking.
- Teaching and lab classes in Week 5 deal with the main differences between ad hoc networking and infrastructures based networking.
03. Analyse various routing strategies for ad hoc networks, focusing on power optimization.
- Teaching and lab classes from Week 6 to Week 10 deal with different types of routing protocols available in ad hoc networks and how they can optimize the power and CPU requirements
04. Identify the importance of preserving privacy and trust in ad hoc and sensor networks.
- Weeks 10-12 deal with the need for security and privacy in mobile ad hoc networks. Lectures and lab classes deal with in depth analysis of various security and trust schemes, and their strengths and weaknesses.
05. Solve complex problems related to energy consumption and message complexity of various MANET routing protocols.
- Lectures and lab classes in Weeks 6-12 deal with the issues of energy consumption and message complexity of MANET routing protocols.
06. Use simple authentication and authorization to protect WSN and MANET.
- Lectures and lab classes in Weeks 10-12 deal with the authentication and authorisation issues in WSN and MANET.
Select to view your study options…
Melbourne, 2019, Semester 1, Day
Maximum enrolment sizeN/A
Subject Instance Co-ordinatorBen Soh
Two 1.0 hours lecture per week on weekdays during the day from week 10 to week 22 and delivered via face-to-face.
One 2.0 hours laboratory class per week on weekdays during the day from week 10 to week 22 and delivered via face-to-face.
|3 hour end of semester written exam||Hurdle requirement: To pass the subject, a pass in the examination is mandatory.||70||01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06|
|1.5 hour Mid-term Problem solving test||30||01, 02, 03|