PROFESSIONAL PRACTICUM A
Credit points: 15
In this subject you will complete 140 hours of professional placement within an approved health organisation. These hours will go towards the requirements for obtaining Accredited Exercise Physiologist (AEP) status from Exercise and Sports Science Australia. Your professional skills, along with patient communication, assessment and clinical exercise prescription skills will be developed under direct supervision from appropriately qualified and experienced clinicians working in a range of healthcare settings. Instruction and information on workplace health and safety will also be a key element to undertaking successful professional placement.
SchoolLa Trobe Rural Health School
Subject Co-ordinatorCarolyn Taylor
Available to Study Abroad StudentsNo
Subject year levelYear Level 5 - Masters
Prerequisites Must have passed two of subjects from EXS4ACD and EXS4AND and EXS4AMD.
Graduate capabilities & intended learning outcomes
01. Develop effective communication strategies (verbal and non-verbal) for communicating with patients, medical and allied health professionals.
- Professional placements will provide opportunities for students to engage in communication with patients and health professionals.
02. Prepare, explain, implement and evaluate clinical exercise interventions for individuals with pathology consistent with those listed in the AEP Scope of Practice.
- Professional placement will provide an opportunity to prescribe, lead and monitor exercise interventions.
03. Critically interpret and stratify risk factors, indicators and contra-indicators, and manage emergency situations.
- Professional practicum will provide learning experiences to with patients to assess risk factors, indicators and contra-indications for exercise intervention. Students will be expected to maintain a safe workplace and safely manage clinical scenarios.
Select to view your study options…
Bendigo, 2016, Semester 1, Blended
Maximum enrolment sizeN/A
Subject Instance Co-ordinatorCarolyn Taylor
Placement - Off Site
One 20.0 days placement - off site per study period on weekdays during the day from week 10 to week 22 and delivered via face-to-face.
"Practicum A will conducted in block mode. Students are required to complete 20 days of practicum over a 5 week block. Practicum allocation will be advised via InPlace."
One 6.0 hours lecture/seminar per study period on weekdays during the day from week 10 to week 22 and delivered via face-to-face.
"Students will attend a pre-clinical program prior to Practicum A to prepare them for clinical experience."
|30-minute online competency test (equivalent to 500 words)||20||03|
|Clinical performance assessment (equivalent to 2,500 words)||Assessment is conducted by agency clinical supervisor via the Exercise Physiology Clinical Assessment tool.||30||02, 01, 03|
|Online reflective journal (2,000 words)||40||01, 02, 03|
|Exercise Physiology treatment plan (1,000 words)||10||02|