Credit points: 15
This is a key Primary subject in which students develop a firm grounding in the contemporary pedagogies required for teaching literacy, language and literature. Students participate in blended structured experiences designed to expand their personal knowledge and understanding of the new literacies in the twenty-first century. Students develop strategies to help build confidence to teach in this subject by exploring the way primary classrooms can be designed to evolve as multimodal literacy communities.
SchoolSchool of Education
Subject Co-ordinatorDebra Edwards
Available to Study Abroad StudentsNo
Subject year levelYear Level 5 - Masters
|Resource Type||Title||Resource Requirement||Author and Year||Publisher|
Graduate capabilities & intended learning outcomes
01. Investigate the major issues involved in the teaching of English language, literature and literacy in a primary school setting.
- Introduction to language literacy and literature for the twenty-first century.
02. Identify current research and methodologies for teaching oral language, reading and writing in a digital multi-literate world.
- What do primary teachers do in the twenty-first century?
03. Organise caring and creative learning communities to foster effective learning that takes into account cognitive, affective and behavioural learning issues.
- Managing a Writing Workshop Classroom.
04. Analyse/evaluate multimodal literacies through the study of high quality children's literature, author studies and extensive genre studies for authentic purposes and tasks.
- Creating a community of creative learners.
05. Apply a wide range of literacy strategies to develop curriculum for a diverse range of student needs.
- The goal of an integrated balanced literacy learning classroom.
Select to view your study options…
Melbourne, 2016, Week 08-21, Blended
Maximum enrolment sizeN/A
Subject Instance Co-ordinatorDebra Edwards
One 5.0 days lecture/workshop per study period on weekdays during the day from week 08 to week 08 and delivered via face-to-face.
"Plus directed online learning activities"
|Explore and Analyse the craft of writing using student personal writing samples (3000 words)||50||01, 02|
|Plan a three week literacy unit of work based upon a reading/writing workshop model (3000 words)||50||03, 04, 05|