pol3lac justice freedom and difference
JUSTICE, FREEDOM AND DIFFERENCE: ISSUES IN CONTEMPORARY POLITICAL THEORY
Not currently offered
Credit points: 15
This subject provides an issues-based examination of the key ideas in contemporary political theory. After exploring the values of freedom and equality which are central to liberal thought, we then consider powerful challenges to liberalism from a wide range of theoretical perspectives. This allows us to broach topics such as the justification of taxation, multiculturalism, equality of opportunity, the division of labour in the family, hate speech, civil disobedience, and global justice. Our reflections are framed by the more general question of the role and function of political theory with respect to the problems of our modern world.
SchoolSchool of Humanities & Social Sciences
Subject Co-ordinatorMiriam Bankovsky
Available to Study Abroad StudentsYes
Subject year levelYear Level 3 - UG
Prerequisites 15 credit points of any first year Politics subject and 15 credit points of any Humanities and Social Sciences subject, or subject coordinator's approval
Incompatible subjects POL2LAC
|Resource Type||Title||Resource Requirement||Author and Year||Publisher|
|Readings||Subject reader POL2/3LAC||Prescribed||N/A||N/A|
|Readings||Contemporary Political Philosophy: An Introduction.||Recommended||Kymlicka, W.||2ND ED., OXFORD UP, 2001|
|Readings||Political Philosophy: A Beginner's Guide for Students and Politicians||Recommended||Swift, A.||2ND ED., POLITY, 2006|
Graduate capabilities & intended learning outcomes
01. Demonstrate a comprehensive knowledge of liberalism in its relationship to a variety of critics.
- Exam; in-class concept testing
02. Produce a well-reasoned group report on the main themes characteristic of contemporary liberalism.
- Group report; tutorial exercise on preparing summaries of theoretical texts
03. Write a critical research essay that demonstrates an advanced knowledge of contemporary liberal theory and a number of its central critics.
- Essay; tutorial exercise on essay plans
Select to view your study options…