phe5atl art therapy literature review
ART THERAPY LITERATURE REVIEW
Credit points: 15
In this subject students will examine, discuss and critique the literature from art therapy, psychology and research methods as it relates to art therapy practice and the Final Project undertaken in Semester 2 (PHE5AFP). Diverse research methodologies will be presented within the context of the relevant epistemological frameworks. Students will strengthen their critical appraisal skills as they analyse texts for quality, strengths and weaknesses. In particular, students will focus on the literature from art therapy related to their Masters year placement as this will provide the foundation for writing a literature review as phase one of the Final Project and for phase 2 in Semester 2.
SchoolSchool of Psychology & Public Health
Subject Co-ordinatorPatricia Fenner
Available to Study Abroad StudentsNo
Subject year levelYear Level 5 - Masters
Prerequisites Must be enrolled in HMART - Master of Art Therapy.
|Resource Type||Title||Resource Requirement||Author and Year||Publisher|
|Readings||Art therapy, research and evidence based practice||Prescribed||Gilroy, A. (2006)||LONDON: SAGE|
|Readings||Art, science and art therapy||Recommended||Kaplan, F. (2000)||LONDON: JESSICA KINGSLEY|
|Readings||Art-based research||Recommended||McNiff, S. (1999)||LONDON:JESSICA KINGSLEY|
|Readings||Artistic inquiry in dance/movement therapy||Recommended||Hervey, L. W. (2000)||CHARLES C. THOMAS, SPRINGFIELD.|
|Readings||Arts therapies: A research-based map of the field||Recommended||Karkou, V. & Sanderson, P. (2006)||EDINBURGH: ELSEVIER CHRUCHILL LIVINGSTONE.|
|Readings||Doing a literature review||Recommended||Hart, C. (1998)||LONDON: SAGE|
|Readings||Introduction to art therapy research||Recommended||Kapitan, L. (Ed)||NY & LONDON: ROUTLEDGE.|
|Readings||Knowing differently: Arts-based and collaborative research methods||Recommended||Liamputtong, P. & Rumbold, J. (Eds) (2008)||NY: NOVA SCIENCE.|
|Readings||Method meets art: Arts-based research practice||Recommended||Leavy, P. (2008)||NY: GUILDFORD PRESS.|
|Readings||Visual methodologies: an introduction to the interpretation of visual materials||Recommended||Rose, G. 2007||LONDON: SAGE.|
Graduate capabilities & intended learning outcomes
01. Critically review relevant theory and practice models with an awareness of their theoretical frameworks, methodological orientation and argue their respective strengths and shortcomings.
- Analyse set theory and practice models and other relevant professional literature for theoretical assumptions, methodologies and rigour.
02. Discern researcher bias and relevance of a text to art therapy practice.
- Critically evaluate texts for bias, relevance and practical applicability.
03. Analyse a piece of research for its overall quality and contribution to an evidence base.
- Analyse an article and apply an art therapy specific critical appraisal tool.
04. Structure, research and write a critical literature review as the first phase in the Final Project.
- Identify and research an area of interest related to practice at clinical placement to form the basis for the literature review. This review will become the basis for the Final Project.
05. Initiate investigation of how an art therapy program could be developed for a specific clinical setting and population including resourcing, and evaluation methods.
- Research clinical applications of art therapy for a specific population and sketch a plan for a program proposal.
Select to view your study options…
Melbourne, 2015, Semester 1, Day
Maximum enrolment sizeN/A
Subject Instance Co-ordinatorPatricia Fenner
One 2.0 hours lecture per week and delivered via face-to-face.
|Attendance and participation||10|
|Critical literature review: 5,000-words||70||01, 02, 03, 04, 05|
|Small group presentation of Final Project planning: 10 minutes||20||04, 05|