mmh5cpm clinical practice in mental he
CLINICAL PRACTICE IN MENTAL HEALTH 1
Credit points: 30
In this subject students will develop fundamental knowledge and skills required in clinical mental health practice. Students will develop comprehensive assessment and management skills and recognise the interrelationship between a person's medical, social and psychological health. This subject provides a theoretical and practical foundation that prepares students for ethically oriented professional practice. This subject enables students to develop critical thinking and problem solving skills, specialised clinical proficiency, and effective communication skills. Students will be able to make independent judgements; plan, implement and evaluate practice in mental health contexts and function effectively as a member of a multidisciplinary team. The subject is delivered via a flexible online mode comprising learning modules via LMS and supported by appropriate clinical practicum.
SchoolLa Trobe Rural Health School
Subject Co-ordinatorKatherine Emond
Available to Study Abroad StudentsYes
Subject year levelYear Level 5 - Masters
Graduate capabilities & intended learning outcomes
01. Apply ethical standards to new contexts within the mental health setting.
- Reflective journal for review by subject coordinator.
02. Apply specialty knowledge and skills to well defined situations in mental health .
- Clinical Practice. Students will be required to undertake clinical practice in a mental health setting under supervision of a preceptor or supervisor. Students will undertake a variety of activities such as utlising Pebble Pad to maintain a reflective journal which will be accessible to the subject coordinator, and the completion online quiz's via LMS to test knowledge base.
03. Critically analyse current knowledge, data and processes in mental health in order to inform your practice.
- Online activities and discussion groups. Pebble Pad as a refective journal regarding knowledge base Communication with subject coordinator. Review of literature Weblinks
04. Determine the communication approach required in a specific situation and tailor your professional communication, using listening, speaking, writing and ICT skills, to achieve effective and positive outcomes.
- LMS and Pebble Pad activities. Discussion groups and wiki's. Use of narrarive. Clinical practice
05. Make accurate assessments & develop reasonable and justifiable clinical formulations.
- Analyse of case studies and scenrios online, including video recorded vignettes. Clinical Practice. Students will be required to undertake assessments during clicnial practice.
06. Make informed judgements and develop plans in response to well defined scenarios, based on your review and analysis of relevant & substantial information
- Analyse of case studies and scenrios online Clinical Practice. Communication with preceptor or mentor and subject coordinator. Review of literature
07. Perform independent work & work as an effective team member in a variety of situations within the mental health setting.
- Clinical practice. Discussion groups and use of Pebble pad to log reflections related to this ILO.
08. Recognise your own learning needs & use learning strategies that are effective in your professional practice.
- Refelctive journal and communication with preceptor or mentor and subject coordinator.
Select to view your study options…
Online, 2015, Semester 1, Online
Maximum enrolment sizeN/A
Subject Instance Co-ordinatorKatherine Emond
Problem Based Learning
One 12.0 hours problem based learning per week and delivered via online.
"Students complete the equivalent of 12 hours of online learning per week."
Placement - Off Site
One 2.0 days placement - off site per week and delivered via distance education.
"Students undertake the equivalent of 210 hours of clinical practicum throughout the semester."
|1,000 word equivalent online reflective activity||10||01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08|
|2,000 word written assessment||30||01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08|
|5000 word equivalent case presentation, using specified media||60||01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08|
|Summative clinical appraisal||0||01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08|