jrn5sme sport media issues
SPORT MEDIA ISSUES
Not currently offered
Credit points: 15
This subject introduces students to the role and history of sport media, particularly as it relates to the social, cultural, economic and political role of sport media. Through lectures and seminar discussion, students will examine the role of the media in enhancing the value of sport sponsorship, the links between sports and nationalism, gender issues, the coverage of drugs in sport and ethics in sport media. Students will also examine the cultural side of the sport media, including the cultural status of sport stars and sport in cinema. More specialised areas such as the changing relationship between print sport journalism and sport broadcasting will also be examined.
SchoolSchool of Humanities & Social Sciences
Subject Co-ordinatorDavid Lowden
Available to Study Abroad StudentsYes
Subject year levelYear Level 5 - Masters
Prerequisites Enrolment in the Master of Global Communications or the Master of International Buisness / Global Communications
|Resource Type||Title||Resource Requirement||Author and Year||Publisher|
|Readings||Course Reader||Prescribed||Journalism Department, LTU||2010|
Graduate capabilities & intended learning outcomes
01. The ability to write and publish articles (500 words), that conform to Australian journalistic standards, on a variety of issues in sport that go beyong previews and results. Honours level students will be graded on the basis they should have acquired the necessary skills to write an article which requires little subbing before publication.
- Students will write in journalistic form their opinion of isses which they will confront when they are working as journalists or in related occupations. They will then participate in debates (in teams) which will discuss the issue. They will then resubmit their opinion piece after the debate. They will learn to "self sub" and look at an issue from all angles whilst acknowledgeing the influence on their work of their own preconceptions.
- Related graduate capabilities and elements:
- Critical Thinking(Critical Thinking)
- Inquiry/ Research(Inquiry/ Research)
Select to view your study options…