ASSESSMENT AND EXERCISE PRESCRIPTION FOR NEUROLOGICAL DYSFUNCTION
Credit points: 15
In this subject you will utilise online platforms along with face-to-face theoretical and practical sessions to analyse the pathophysiology of neurological, immunological and mental health conditions. This will include the study of the inflammatory and immunological processes and analysing the role of inflammation on the immune system and its consequential health outcomes. Pathophysiological knowledge will be applied to perform appropriate assessments and examinations of individuals, before interpreting and utilising this information to design and prescribe effective clinical exercise interventions. Exercise interventions will be prescribed with knowledge and appreciation of expected physiological responses, supervised to ensure safety and monitored for adverse responses.
SchoolLa Trobe Rural Health School
Subject Co-ordinatorBrett Gordon
Available to Study Abroad StudentsNo
Subject year levelYear Level 4 - UG/Hons/1st Yr PG
Prerequisites Must be enrolled in HZESPB OR HMEPB
|Resource Type||Title||Resource Requirement||Author and Year||Publisher|
|Readings||ACSM's Exercise Management for Persons with Chronic Diseases and Disabilities||Prescribed||Durstine, Moore, Painter, Roberts 2009||3RD EDN, HUMAN KINETICS, CHAMPAIGN IL|
|Readings||Robins Basic Pathology||Prescribed||Kumar, Abbas, Aster 2012||9TH EDN, W.B. SAUNDERS|
Graduate capabilities & intended learning outcomes
01. Summarise neurological, immunological and mental health pathophysiology as it relates to the AEP scope of practice
- Online lectures, forums and quizzes will be used to describe and investigate pathophysiology of conditions such as stroke, spinal cord injury, Parkinson's disease, cancers, fatigue disorders and depression. Face-to-face lectures will discuss the idenfication of these conditions in individuals from various backgrounds.
02. Evaluate and assess individuals with neurological, mmunological and mental health conditions
- Online and face-to-face content will provide details and instruction on completing relevant examinations and assessments including postural evaluations, control of balance, coordination, along with relevant cardiorespiratory assessments, musculoskeletal assessments and qualtiy of life / depression outcomes. Practicals will embed this knowledge with physical completion of the outcomes listed.
03. Criticallly interpret neurological, immunological and mental health assessments and testing results
- Online lectures, forums and quizzes will highlight expected and abnormal testing results. Case studies presented in the face-toface sessions will consolidate understanding and interpretive skills. Practical sessions will further consolidate interpretation skills at rest, during and after exercise.
04. Discriminate between the expected and adverse neurological, immunological and mental health outcomes from different types of exercise
- Online lectures, forums and quizzes will highlight expected and adverse resposnes to various types of exercise (aerobic, resistance and flexibility training). Case studies presented in the face-to-face sessions will consolidate understanding and analytical skills of physiological outcomes. Practical sessions will further consolidate analytical abilities.
05. Design clinical exercise interventions for individuals with neurological, immunological and mental health conditions
- Case studies presented in face-to-face sessions will facilitate the design and prescription of clinical exercise interventions. Practicals will provide actual data for exercise interventions to be based upon and then discussed in online forums.
Select to view your study options…
Bendigo, 2015, Summer 2, Blended
Maximum enrolment sizeN/A
Subject Instance Co-ordinatorBrett Gordon
Four 3.0 hours lecture/seminar per week on weekdays during the day from week 06 to week 07 and delivered via blended.
Four 3.0 hours laboratory class per week on weekdays during the day from week 06 to week 07 and delivered via face-to-face.
|One 2,000-word written assignment||40||03, 04, 05|
|One Practical Examination (20 min)||50||02, 03|
|One Pre-Practical Online Quiz (30 min)||The pre-practical online quiz is a hurdle requirement for this subject. Students are required to successfully pass the Pre-Practical Online Quiz, before attending any practical sessions.||10||01, 02|