exs4amd musculoskel ex prescription
ASSESSMENT AND EXERCISE PRESCRIPTION FOR MUSCULOSKELETAL DYSFUNCTION
Credit points: 15
In this subject you will utilise online platforms along with face-to-face theoretical and practical sessions to analyse the pathophysiology of sub-acute and chronic muscular and skeletal conditions. Pathophysiological knowledge will be applied to perform appropriate assessments and examinations of individuals, before interpreting and utilising this information to design and prescribe effective clinical exercise interventions. Exercise interventions will be prescribed with knowledge and appreciation of expected physiological responses, supervised to ensure safety and monitored for adverse responses.
SchoolLa Trobe Rural Health School
Subject Co-ordinatorBrett Gordon
Available to Study Abroad StudentsNo
Subject year levelYear Level 4 - UG/Hons/1st Yr PG
Prerequisites Must be enrolled in HZESPB HMEPB
|Resource Type||Title||Resource Requirement||Author and Year||Publisher|
|Readings||ACSM's Exercise Management for Persons with Chronic Diseases and Disabilities||Prescribed||Durstine, Moore, Painter, Roberts 2009||3RD EDN, HUMAN KINETICS, CHAMPAIGN IL|
|Readings||Robins Basic Pathology||Prescribed||Kumar, Abbas, Aster 2012||9TH EDN, W.B. SAUNDERS|
Graduate capabilities & intended learning outcomes
01. Summarise pathophysiology of various musculoskeletal conditions as they relate to the AEP scope of practice
- Online lectures, forums and quizzes will be used to describe and investigate pathophysiology of conditions such as arthritis, osteoporosis, pain syndromes and athlethic sporting injuries. Face-to-face lectures will discuss the idenfication of these conditions in individuals from various backgrounds.
02. Evaluate and assess individuals with musculoskeletal conditions
- Online and face-to-face learning content will provide details and instruction on completing relevant examinations and assessments including joint range of motion and stability, muscle strength and function, neuromuscular assessments, and movement analyses. Practicals will embed this knowledge with physical completion of the tests listed, including clinical gait analysis.
03. Critique and interpret musculoskeletal assessments and testing results
- Online lectures, forums and quizzes will highlight expected and abnormal testing results. Case studies presented in the face-toface sessions will consolidate understanding and interpretive skills. Practical sessions will further consolidate interpretation skills at rest, during and after exercise.
04. Discriminate between the expected and adverse musculoskeletal outcomes from different types of exercise
- Online lectures, forums and quizzes will highlight expected and adverse exercise resposnes to various types of exercise (aerobic, resistance and flexibility training). Case studies presented in the face-to-face sessions will consolidate understanding and analytical skills of physiological outcomes. Practical sessions will further consolidate analytical abilities.
05. Design clinical exercise interventions for individuals with musculoskeletal conditions
- Case studies presented in face-to-face sessions will facilitate the design and prescription of clinical exercise interventions. Practicals will provide actual data for exercise interventions to be based upon and then discussed in online forums.
Select to view your study options…
Bendigo, 2015, Summer 2, Day
Maximum enrolment sizeN/A
Subject Instance Co-ordinatorBrett Gordon
Laboratory ClassWeek: 04 - 05
Four 3.0 hours laboratory class per week on weekdays during the day from week 04 to week 05 and delivered via face-to-face.
Lecture/SeminarWeek: 04 - 05
Four 3.0 hours lecture/seminar per week on weekdays during the day from week 04 to week 05 and delivered via blended.
|One 2,000-word written assignment||40||03, 04, 05|
|One Practical Examination (20 min)||50||02, 03|
|One Pre-Practical Online Quiz (30 min)||The pre-practical online quiz is a hurdle requirement for this subject. Students are required to successfully pass the Pre-Practical Online Quiz, before attending any practical sessions.||10||01, 02|