GENDER AND EDUCATION
Credit points: 15
In this subject students develop their understanding of constructions of masculinities and femininities as they interact with other markers of identity such as ethnicity and sexuality. There will be a focus on educational strategies aimed at addressing issues of gender sexuality and diversity through analysing, and evaluating critical gender, sexuality and critical race theories, and the effects such issues have on learning outcomes, schooling choices, curriculum, participation and equality in local, national and international educational contexts.
SchoolSchool of Education
Subject Co-ordinatorCarolyn D'Cruz
Available to Study Abroad StudentsYes
Subject year levelYear Level 5 - Masters
|Resource Type||Title||Resource Requirement||Author and Year||Publisher|
|Readings||Gender in world perspective,||Prescribed||Connell, R. (2009)||POLITY PRESS|
Graduate capabilities & intended learning outcomes
01. knowledge about how education can replicate gendered practices that may have subsequent effects on students' learning outcomes and life opportunities
- Workshop discussions and critique of relationships between educational outcomes, gendered curriculum, teaching practices, educational achievement and issues of disadvantage
02. an understanding of the interdependence between gender, society and education and how to use critical, socially just and participatory processes when considering gender issues in education
- Presentation of findings to whole class on understanding of social, political and cultural differentiations within national and international education sectors.
03. develop gender awareness in teacher practices and in educational settings and contexts
- Theoretical critiques of gender and understanding of key texts and research relating to
Select to view your study options…
Melbourne, 2015, Semester 2, Day
Maximum enrolment sizeN/A
Subject Instance Co-ordinatorCarolyn D'Cruz
One 2.0 hours lecture other recurrence during the day from week 31 to week 43 and delivered via blended.
One 1.0 hours tutorial other recurrence during the day from week 31 to week 43 and delivered via blended.
|One 600 word short written assignment||15||01, 02, 03|
|One 600 word annotated bibliography and dot essay plan (bibliographical details not included)||15||01, 02, 03|
|One 1200 word essay based on bibliography||30|
|One short answer (x3) take home exam (1200 words)||30|
|Ongoing tutorial tasks (equivalent of 400 words)||10|