SHAKESPEARE AND THE MOVING IMAGE
Credit points: 15
In this subject, students will be introduced to five Shakespeare plays and a number of screen versions of them. The plays will be set in the context of their textual production and the theatre of Shakespeare's time, but they will be analysed through their realisation in a series of film and television productions. The subject is taught in conjunction with The Australian Centre for the Moving Image, which will screen the films and provide a number of the lectures. Plays and screen versions covered will be: Romeo and Juliet, The Taming of the Shrew, Much Ado About Nothing, Macbeth, and King Lear.
SchoolSchool of Humanities & Social Sciences
Subject Co-ordinatorPaul Salzman
Available to Study Abroad StudentsYes
Subject year levelYear Level 3 - UG
Prerequisites 45 credit points of 2nd year English or 45 credit points of 2nd year Drama or 45 credit points of 2nd year Media: Screen + Sound subjects
Incompatible subjects CRA2SMI
Graduate capabilities & intended learning outcomes
01. Learn how to analyse plays in relation to their adaptation
- class presentations, lectures, seminars
02. Learn how to write about thematic, conceptual, and structural aspects of eary modern drama and its modern manifestations.
- Lectures, tutorials, seminars, essay writing.
03. Understand Shakespeare's plays in relation to their treatment in film/TV
- Lectures, tutorials, workshops.
04. Understand critical aproaches to the plays and their adaptations,
- Lectures, seminars, tutorials, analysis of secondary reading.
Select to view your study options…
City, 2015, Week 06-07, Day
Maximum enrolment sizeN/A
Subject Instance Co-ordinatorPaul Salzman
LectureWeek: 06 - 07
One 3.0 hours lecture per day on weekdays during the day from week 06 to week 07 and delivered via blended.
TutorialWeek: 06 - 07
One 3.0 hours tutorial per day on weekdays during the day from week 06 to week 07 and delivered via blended.
TutorialWeek: 06 - 07
One 6.0 hours tutorial per study period on weekdays during the day from week 06 to week 07 and delivered via online.
"6 hours online during weeks 6 and 7"
|Class presentation/workbook (2000 words)||50||01, 02, 03|
|Essay (2000 words)||50||01, 02, 03, 04|