SHAKESPEARE AND THE MOVING IMAGE
Credit points: 15
In this subject, students will be introduced to five Shakespeare plays and a number of screen versions of them. The plays will be set in the context of their textual production and the theatre of Shakespeare's time, but they will be analysed through their realisation in a series of film and television productions. The subject is taught in conjunction with The Australian Centre for the Moving Image, which will screen the films and provide a number of the lectures. Plays and screen versions covered will be: Romeo and Juliet, The Taming of the Shrew, Much Ado About Nothing, Macbeth, and King Lear.
SchoolSchool of Humanities & Social Sciences
Subject Co-ordinatorPaul Salzman
Available to Study Abroad StudentsYes
Subject year levelYear Level 2 - UG
Prerequisites 30 credit points of 1st year English or 30 credit points of 1st year Drama or 30 credit points of 1st year Media
Incompatible subjects CRA3SMI
Graduate capabilities & intended learning outcomes
01. An introduction to Shakspeare's plays in relation to their treatment in film/TV
- Lectures, tutorials, workshops.
02. Introductory knowledge about adaptation especially in relation to plays and screen.
- class presentations, lectures, seminars
03. Learn how to write about thematic, conceptual, and structural aspects of eary modern drama and its modern manifestations.
- Lectures, tutorials, seminars, essay writing.
04. Understand some useful critical aproaches to the plays and their adaptations,
- Lectures, seminars, tutorils, analysis of secondary reading.
Select to view your study options…
City, 2015, Week 06-07, Day
Maximum enrolment sizeN/A
Subject Instance Co-ordinatorPaul Salzman
LectureWeek: 06 - 07
One 3.0 hours lecture per day on weekdays during the day from week 06 to week 07 and delivered via blended.
"One 3-hour lecture/tutorial/screening per day from week 6 to week 7 and delivered via blended mode"
TutorialWeek: 06 - 07
One 6.0 hours tutorial per study period on weekdays during the day from week 06 to week 07 and delivered via online.
"6 hrs online before and during weeks 6-7"
|Class presentation/workbook (equivalent to 1000 words)||30||01, 02, 03|
|Essay (2000 words)||50||01, 02, 03, 04|
|On line test (equivalent to 1000 words)||20||01, 02|