Before I start international online study FAQ

Do you have a questions about online study? We’re here to help.

Term-based enrolment provides commencing students with the utmost flexibility. This means no matter when borders reopen, you are in the best position to not delay your studies.

Once you have enrolled in a semester, you should complete it online, even if travel restrictions are lifted and on-campus teaching becomes available. For example, if you begin Semester 1 online, you’ll continue online and then enrol in Semester 2 face-to-face.

La Trobe University is following the advice given by Federal and State Governments. If you are living in Australia but in another state and have plans to relocate to Victoria, you should follow advice enforced by State Governments.

Please follow the advice on the Victorian Government Coronavirus website. Additional information is also available on the Department of Health and Human Services website. The information available on these websites are accurate and up to date.

Our International Admissions Team will be issuing revised Offer Letters for all current applications where applicable. If you’re eligible for our new scholarship schemes, you’ll receive this information in the revised offer letter.

Credit will be granted on a case-by-case basis as per our usual process. However, as there are limited first year subjects available each term, you are encouraged to review your options carefully.

Commencing students can enrol in four subjects in each semester.

From Semester 2 2020 onwards, including for our Term intakes, La Trobe tuition fee scholarships will be applied as a deduction to the tuition fee deposit. Your Offer Letter will show the full tuition fee deposit, the amount of the scholarship (if eligible), and the resulting reduced tuition fee deposit you need to provide to accept your offer. One exemption to this is the Early Bird Acceptance Grant.

When you accept your offer prior to the early acceptance deadline noted for your specific intake, the Early Bird Acceptance Grant amount will be credited towards your second semester tuition fees.

We are glad to let you know that our international student ambassadors are online to answer your questions and share their study experiences at La Trobe University.

To connect with our student ambassador community, please click here.

You will select your preferred face-to-face campus at the time of application. This is the campus you will study at when you transition to on-campus study.

The Australian Government has a range of visa measures to support international students. For the latest information, please check the Department of Home Affairs website.

The Australian Government announced a number of changes to student visa arrangements – including the recognition of online study for Temporary Graduate visa applications (post study work rights).

  1. Free Visa Extensions – international students will be able to lodge a further student visa application free of charge, if they are unable to complete their studies within their original visa validity due to COVID-19.
  2. Post Study Work Rights – existing and new student visa holders studying online outside Australia due to COVID-19 will be able to use that study to count towards the Australian study requirement for a Temporary Graduate visa. Furthermore, graduates who held a student visa will be eligible to apply for a Temporary Graduate visa outside Australia if they are unable to return due to COVID-19.
  3. Visa Applications – the Government will recommence granting student visas in all locations lodged outside Australia. This means when borders re-open, students will already have visas and be able to make arrangements to travel.
  4. English language tests – Additional time will be given for applicants to provide English language results where COVID-19 has disrupted access to these services

For more information on the policy, please visit the Department of Home Affairs website.

Please note: In some cases, a visa extension may be required. La Trobe University will provide advice to you on the process of extending your visa if this applies to you.

If you are waiting to travel to Australia to commence your studies on-campus, please note that the Australian Government and the Victorian State Government Plan to bring international students back is still under discussion with more details to be formalised. We continue to follow the advice of the Victorian and Australian Governments regarding travel restrictions into Australia.

We hope international students consider getting fully vaccinated with the vaccines approved by Australia's Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA): Coronavac (Sinovac) and Covishield (AstraZeneca/Serum Institute of India) in addition to Vaxzevria (AstraZeneca), Comirnaty (Pfizer) and Spikevax (Moderna). These vaccines will be considered as ‘recognised vaccines’ for incoming international travellers.

We recommend you continue to monitor the Department of Home Affairs website for further Government advice.

Other useful resources for you to check updates:

Classes continue to be delivered online to support learning for students who are unable to travel to Australia. Many students across different time zones have joined us online and will continue their studies on campus when borders re-open. We offer a comprehensive range of support services to all our students while they continue to study online and will support them through the process of returning to campus when that happens.

For more information on how online study works, please refer to our online study page.

We will contact you as soon as we know more about the possibility of travel to Australia to commence your studies on-campus.

For the latest information on travelling to Australia, borders re-opening, quarantine and vaccines, visit the Federal Government’s Department of Health.

The Victorian Government has put forward a proposal to the Federal Government that aims to allow a small number of international students and other groups to enter Victoria. We will update you if the plan is approved.

Classes continue to be delivered online to support learning for students who are unable to travel to Australia.

International students have been studying with us online across different time zones since 2020. Online recordings are made available wherever possible to accommodate students who might not be able to attend the live sessions due to time zone differences. Students can book one-on-one sessions with the Subject Coordinators if they need any guidance or support during the study.

For more information on how online study will look, please refer to our online study page. Please be assured that you are not by yourself. We have a large community of international students who are studying online with us from their home country due to the current travel restrictions.

If you're experiencing significant difficulties in your personal or academic life (this could be financial, emotional, medical, employment or study related), you can apply for a Leave of Absence for up to 12 months (depending on the circumstances).

You can defer your course for up to two semesters or one year, but deferring your course may affect your eligibility to travel. For more information on visas, please visit the Department of Home Affairs.

We’ve updated some of our English language policies and processes to respond to COVID-19. Please note that these changes only apply to La Trobe University’s English language admission criteria for our courses. You will be required to check and abide by the English requirement for your student Visa as advised by the Department of Home affairs.

Updated tests:

  • TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition
  • Duolingo.

For more information on the English language, admission criteria visit language requirements.

Couldn't find what you are looking for? We can help!