WORKING WITH PEOPLE WITH INTELLECTUAL DISABILITIES: PRACTICE APPLICATIONS
Not currently offered
Credit points: 15
This subject will introduce students to effective supports for people with intellectual disabilities to ensure they are included in society and live a quality of life similar to other citizens. There are many factors that influence support and how #support# has changed over time from one of segregation to community living. Analysis will consider the sociopolitcal context upon both access to supports and types available, including the influences of the recent National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) . Students will further learn the underpinning principles and significance of person-centred approach and reflect upon communication skills. Approaches to safeguarding rights and the prevention of abuse of people with disabilities will also be discussed. Students will understand the challenges in the context of effective support planning for people with a cognitive disability across community participation, social inclusion and decision-making.
SchoolSchool Allied Health,Human Serv & Sport
Subject Co-ordinatorMaureen Long
Available to Study Abroad StudentsNo
Subject year levelYear Level 3 - UG
|Resource Type||Title||Resource Requirement||Author and Year||Publisher|
|Readings||Social Work Practice and Intellectual Disability||Recommended||Bigby, C & Frawley, P (2010)||Palgrave Macmillan|
Graduate capabilities & intended learning outcomes
01. Analyse and identify the capabilities of people with a range of disabilities
- Students to watch videos, undertake readings and then answer online quiz.
02. Apply the principles of effective and inclusive support to people with intellectual disabilities
- Students to undertake relevant reading, watch online videos and be prepared to participate in workshop discussions.
03. Apply effective communication skills when developing individualized support plans with people with intellectual disabilities, their families and carers
- Major essay to develop support planning in disability practice. Case-based essay and workshop discussion.
04. Critique the policy context of professional practice in relation to supporting people with an intellectual disability, their families and carers
- Case-based essay and workshop discussion
05. Apply research appropriately in intellectual disability practice
- Workshop discussions
Select to view your study options…