swp3usd understanding disability
Not currently offered
Credit points: 15
This subject will apply skills and knowledge learnt across the course to disability practice. Students will explore and critique the difference between impairment and disability, the prevalence and types of impairment, experience of living with a disability, contemporary debates around disability service delivery and theories of disability across social and medical models. Current approaches to disability policy will be reviewed comparing those of individualized support with broader supports such as anti-discrimination that focus on wider social change. The success with which policies have been implemented will be considered. Students will apply evidence based approaches, utilizing theoretical learnings to find solutions to real-world case scenarios in disability practice and reviewing how current research can guide decision-making processes. Broad analysis of problems using multiple perspectives, will assist students to develop potential strategies for working at individual or community levels.
SchoolSchool Allied Health,Human Serv & Sport
Subject Co-ordinatorMaureen Long
Available to Study Abroad StudentsNo
Subject year levelYear Level 3 - UG
|Author and Year
|Disability. The Basics.
|Shakespeare, T. (2018)
|New York: Routledge
Graduate capabilities & intended learning outcomes
01. Critically discuss the lived experiences of people with a disability and their families
- The reflective piece will require student to think about the life experiences of a person with a disability. A piece of life-history writing will be used.
02. Critically assess the impact of legislation on how support would be provided to people with disabilities.
- Online quizzes will test student knowledge in the area of relevant disability legislation.
03. Critically evaluate the implications for disability care practices across the shifts to historical & contemporary disability-related policies.
- The essay will require students to describe, discuss and compare relevant policies and their implications for service delivery. Policies to consider will include the NDIS.
04. Apply research evidence to disability practice.
- Watch online video content and read case examples which provide example of evidence based practice.
Select to view your study options…