CLINICAL NEUROPSYCHOLOGY PRACTICUM A
Credit points: 15
Students are introduced to clinical practice by developing professional competency in test administration and interpretation. Neuropsychology case observation within the La Trobe University Psychology Clinic will allow modelling of clinical neuropsychology skills, including history-taking and behavioural observations. An introduction to writing case notes will be provided.
SchoolSchool of Psychology & Public Health
Subject Co-ordinatorLauren Fitzpatrick
Available to Study Abroad StudentsNo
Subject year levelYear Level 5 - Masters
Graduate capabilities & intended learning outcomes
01. Developed ability to select, administer, and interpret neuropsychological tests.
- Participation in seminars and tutorials, and practical assignments
02. Demonstrate mastery of case conceptualisation and assessment of common neuropsychological disorders across cultures and the life span.
- Participation in weekly case analysis seminars, case observations and practical seminars, undertaking all practical assignments.
03. Recognise and describe neuropsychological practice in accordance with professional management standards and guidelines and the regulating bodies code of ethics.
- Participation in weekly seminars.
04. Demonstrated readiness for a neuropsychological placement.
- Demonstrated entry-level knowledge base and clinical neuropsychological assessment, interpretation and report writing skills for undertaking a clinical neuropsychological placement.
Select to view your study options…
Melbourne, 2019, Semester 1, Day
Maximum enrolment sizeN/A
Subject Instance Co-ordinatorLauren Fitzpatrick
One 2.0 hours seminar per week on weekdays during the day from week 10 to week 22 and delivered via face-to-face.
"Case analysis seminar"
One 3.0 hours practical per week on weekdays during the day from week 10 to week 22 and delivered via face-to-face.
"Practical test administration and live observation"
|One 30-minute practical exam of neuropsychological test administration (1500 words equivalent)||Practical examination of students' ability to administer a number of commonly used neuropsychological tests.||35||01, 02, 03, 04|
|Clinical neuropsychology client case notes, case formulation, client history (1000 words equivalent)||Attend and actively participate in the case observation sessions, including the initial supervision session, the client presentation and the post presentation discussion and supervision session. Write case notes from the case observation and supervised discussion.||10||01, 02, 03, 04|
|A logbook of all activities, record forms of neuropsychological tests (1000 words equivalent)||Submit a logbook of all placement activities that may be made available to APAC and the PsyBA.||10||03, 04|
|Attendance and participation at a weekly tutorial, case analysis seminar||This is a hurdle requirement to meet professional accreditation guidelines. To achieve this, students will need to attend at least 80% of the weekly tutorials and the case analysis seminar.||10||01, 02, 03, 04|
|One 30-minute practical exam (1500 words equivalency)||DVD recording of a neuropsychological test administration. To meet professional accreditation guidelines all assessments must be passed||35||01, 03, 04|