phe5aqr advanced qualitative methods
ADVANCED QUALITATIVE METHODS IN HEALTH RESEARCH
Not currently offered
Credit points: 15
The aim of this subject is to provide students with advanced skills to independently apply relevant qualitative methods for a research thesis within the broad field of public health based on critical reflection. The student will be provided with in-depth insights into selected qualitative research methods relevant for the field of study and thereby learn to understand, select, apply and critically reflect upon selected qualitative methods in relation to data collection, data analyses and data presentation at an advanced level.In order to reach the above aims the student will acquire the following:Knowledge of data collection methods and how they relate to qualitative data analysis, different methods for qualitative data analysis and critical reflection about qualitative methods.Skills in applying relevant qualitative methods, conducting an advanced qualitative data analysis, critically assessing relationships between data collection, data analysis and data presentation.
SchoolSchool of Psychology & Public Health
Subject Co-ordinatorPeter Higgs
Available to Study Abroad StudentsNo
Subject year levelYear Level 5 - Masters
|Author and Year
|Qualitative Methods in Public Health : A Field Guide for Applied Field Guide for Applied
|Tolley et al. Edition 2 (2016)
|Wiley & Sons
|Ezzy, D. (2013)
|Taylor & Francis
Graduate capabilities & intended learning outcomes
01. Understand and be able to argue for the value of qualitative health research.
- Group work in class and readings
02. Design a study using qualitative research methodology.
- Readings and discussion with peers and supervisor
03. Develop and apply skills in the collection, coding and analysis of qualitative data.
- Practical exercise in class and application of readings
04. Synthesise qualitative data and communicate the findings of qualitative health research.
- Readings and discussion with peers and supervisor, practical exercise in class, and application of readings
Select to view your study options…