ISLAMIC COMMERCIAL LAW
Not currently offered
Credit points: 15
In this subject students will explore some of the core principles of Islamic Commercial Law and develop a working knowledge of Islamic commercial transactions. Students will examine the primary and secondary sources of Islamic Law and the principles of S'hariah sales and contracts. Students will also examine the role that historical, economic and social factors play in shaping the main features of Islamic commercial law.
SchoolLa Trobe Law School
Subject Co-ordinatorReeta Verma
Available to Study Abroad StudentsYes
Subject year levelYear Level 5 - Masters
|Resource Type||Title||Resource Requirement||Author and Year||Publisher|
|Readings||Understanding Islamic Finance||Prescribed||Muhammad Ayub||CHICHESTER, WEST SUSSEX: WILEY, C 2007|
|Readings||Islamic commercial law: an analysis of futures and options||Recommended||Mohammad Hashim, Kamali||UK: ISLAMIC TEXTS SOCIETY, 2000.|
|Readings||Understanding Islamic Law (Sharia'a)||Recommended||Raj Bhalla||LEXISNEXIS|
Graduate capabilities & intended learning outcomes
01. Be able to describe the primary and secondary sources of Islamic Law (Sharia'ah).
- Students will learn about the sources of Islamic Law through discussions, research and inquiry. Students' knowledge will be tested in the class test through false and true statements calling for correct answers with justification for the answers.
02. Be able to examine and apply to the fact situations the Islamic Law principles relating to Islamic commercial transactions and compose a Sharia'ah compatible opinion which applies to relevant situations.
- Students will practice the skills of problem-solving in tutorials through real and hypothetical case analyses. The skills will be tested in class test, assignment and the end of semester examination.
03. Be able to identify Sharia'ah compliant sales and contracts.
- Students will discuss both in lectures and tutorials various situations involving Sharia'ah compliant and non-compliant transactions. Their knowledge will be tested in the assignment and in problem-solving questions in the final examination.
Select to view your study options…