TEACHING PRIMARY SCIENCE
Not currently offered
Credit points: 15
In this subject Pre-service Teachers develop and critically evaluate the knowledge, skills and competencies to teach science in primary schools. You will explore innovative pedagogies and core conceptual understandings related to teaching and learning in science. You will investigate high quality curriculum resources available for teaching science topics, develop an awareness of the general capabilities and structure of the Australian Science Curriculum as a basis for state referenced curriculum documents. You will have the opportunity to examine contemporary issues that intersect with science education, suitable for classroom exploration. ICT skills associated with accessing, processing and communicating in a blended learning environment are embedded within the subject and assessment tasks. You will have the opportunity to develop unit plans and resources for teaching science and investigate interdisciplinary possibilities for planning and teaching. You will have the opportunity to observe, collect science resources, plan documents and teach science lessons in a school setting while on professional experience during this subject.< /span> < /span>
SchoolSchool of Education
Subject Co-ordinatorSarah Lord
Available to Study Abroad StudentsYes
Subject year levelYear Level 5 - Masters
Graduate capabilities & intended learning outcomes
01. Demonstrate an understanding of the content knowledge, skills and resources required to plan for effective science teaching and learning through a study of the Australian science curriculum, the three interrelated strands of science, its general capabilities and links to appropriate state based curriculum documents.
- Through online modules and interactive asynchronous and synchronous forums: - Students will gain first-hand experience with the relevant state based curriculum documents, including the structure of the Australian science curriculum. Quality resources will be a focus and this will incorporate not only the guidance recommended from curriculum documents, but going beyond this to reputable texts, websites, education providers and articles.
02. Identify and apply contemporary pedagogical and multidisciplinary approaches, such as the 5E instructional model, for planning and teaching science.
- Through online modules; interactive asynchronous and synchronous forums; some campus-based lectures during a Face-to-Face Intensive.
03. Investigate age-appropriate, contemporary scientific issues which can be used as a basis to create a planned unit of work from Foundation to year 6, incorporating proposed activities, resources required and planning for assessment.
- Through online modules; interactive forums; investigation of a science based Excursion site; Assessment Task 1
04. Develop an interactive, online science resource representing accurate understandings of all strands of the Australian Primary Science Curriculum for future practice and implementation.
- Through online modules; interactive asynchronous and synchronous forums; Assessment Task 2.
Select to view your study options…