SUBSTANCE USE IN AUSTRALIAN SOCIETY
Credit points: 15
In this subject, students develop an understanding of the physical, psychological, social and economic issues relevant to substance use in Australian society. Students explore a range of public policy approaches relating to substance use including a particular focus on education. Students use research evidence to critically evaluate the harm minimization strategies used in their own professional field.
SchoolSchool of Education
Subject Co-ordinatorCathleen Farrelly
Available to Study Abroad StudentsYes
Subject year levelYear Level 2 - UG
|Resource Type||Title||Resource Requirement||Author and Year||Publisher|
|Readings||Book of Readings||Prescribed||Farrelly, C. (compiler)||BENDIGO: LA TROBE UNIVERSITY|
Graduate capabilities & intended learning outcomes
01. Identify, describe and explain a range of issues and perspectives related to substance use in Australian society.
02. Evaluate, using research evidence, approaches and strategies available within your field of practice, to deal with substance misuse.
03. Plan, prepare and present information on a specific issue related to substance use.
04. Reflect on teamwork, planning and presentation skills.
05. Analyse and evaluate the impace of the media on substance use issues.
Select to view your study options…
Bendigo, 2017, Semester 2, Blended
Maximum enrolment sizeN/A
Subject Instance Co-ordinatorCathleen Farrelly
One 1.0 hours lecture per week on weekdays during the day from week 31 to week 31 and delivered via face-to-face.
One 2.0 hours workshop per week on weekdays during the day from week 31 to week 43 and delivered via face-to-face.
Unscheduled Online Class
One 1.0 hours unscheduled online class per week on any day including weekend during the day from week 31 to week 43 and delivered via online.
|Group research and presentation||30||01, 03, 04|
|Critical analysis of one current newspaper article (approx. 1500 words)||20||01, 05|
|Report to a school council on drug education (max. 2500 words)||Hurdle: must obtain 50% mark in both research paper and media analysis||50||01, 02, 03, 04|