LITERACY AND NUMERACY FOR PROFESSIONAL EDUCATORS
Credit points: 15
In this subject, students explore the links between their own knowledge, experience and skills of numeracy and literacy and those required of a teaching professional. Under the guidance of a VET in VCE or VCAL mentor in a Victorian school or alternative educational setting, students spend five days (or equivalent) with their site-based mentor. Following a period of fieldwork students submit a folio which includes a strategic plan for their own personal learning and professional development, and relevant teaching materials and resources. Students also participate in self-paced, on-line activities.
SchoolSchool of Education
Subject Co-ordinatorMichael Brown
Available to Study Abroad StudentsNo
Subject year levelYear Level 4 - UG/Hons/1st Yr PG
|Resource Type||Title||Resource Requirement||Author and Year||Publisher|
|Readings||Head first,||Recommended||Buzan, T. (2000)||THORSONS|
|Readings||Keeping a professional journal,||Recommended||Holly, M.L. (1997)||2ND EDN, DEAKIN UNIVERSITY|
|Readings||Portfolios, performance and authenticity,||Recommended||Hay, T. & Moss, J. (eds) (2005)||PEARSON|
|Readings||Professional learning in effective schools: the seven principles of highly effective professional learning||Recommended||.||DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION & TRAINING, MELBOURNE, 2005|
|Readings||Towards a comprehensive theory of human learning. Lifelong learning and the learning society. Volume 1,||Recommended||Jarvis, P. (2006)||ROUTLEDGE|
Graduate capabilities & intended learning outcomes
01. Gather, analyse and interpret assessment and diagnostic data to make informed judgements about secondary students learning needs.
- Students deconstruct learning activities identifying discrete and embedded components, planning diagnostics, recording observations; focusing on Literacy & Numeracy.
02. Demonstrate an understanding of the significance of written and spoken language as fundamental to education
- Review of curriculum materials / analysis, access, activities, application. Activities are linked to staged reading program in the LMS and journalling task in PebblePad
03. Utilise a variety of technologies to assist learning
- Self-awareness strategies explored through engaging students with online diagnostics for Literacy & Numeracy (teacher-education specific). Also students manage their learning activities in an online environment - interacting with materials and submitting assignments in both the LMS and PebblePad.
04. Identify and specify the level of competency in literacy and numeracy expected of the teaching profession.
- Design an observation matrix for self (teaching/learning) and students (observable/embedded) that reflect the promulgated standards for the teaching profession related to professional knowledge.
05. Communicate effectively across the various relationships involved in the professional life of a teacher
- Complete an in-schools observation of 5 day duration that encompasses an online reflective journal of observed behaviours, activities and interventions for Literacy & Numeracy. The journal is compiled in conjunction with a supervising teacher and incorporates the collection and discussion of artefacts from the teaching and learning environment.
Select to view your study options…
Melbourne, 2016, Semester 1, Blended
Maximum enrolment sizeN/A
Subject Instance Co-ordinatorMichael Brown
One 7.0 hours workshop per study period on weekdays during the day and delivered via face-to-face.
Scheduled Online Class
One 3.0 days scheduled online class other recurrence on any day including weekend during the day from week 10 to week 22 and delivered via online.
Placement - Off Site
One 5.0 days placement - off site per study period and delivered via face-to-face.
|Online activities: numeracy (15%); literacy (15%);||30||01|
|Professional learning journal (10%) & personal development plan (10%) (1000-words equivalent)||20||02|
|Fieldwork blog - Professional Journal in PebblePad (5 x 300 words)||30||03, 04|
|Artefacts from observations (10%), Mentor comments/notes (10)%||20||03, 05|