ANTHROPOLOGY OF POPULAR CULTURE
Credit points: 15
Popular culture is everywhere. From Australian beaches to Amazonian jungles, it shapes the way we eat, dance, shop, protest, and engage with the world. In this subject we examine popular culture through such globally transforming processes as consumption and inequality, migration and mobility, and in diverse expressions of gender, identity, style and human creativity. We also examine how anthropologists use film, the internet and other media to engage diverse audiences in vibrant discussion about the experience of being human.
SchoolSchool of Humanities & Social Sciences
Subject Co-ordinatorJohn Taylor
Available to Study Abroad StudentsYes
Subject year levelYear Level 3 - UG
Incompatible subjects ANT2PCP
Graduate capabilities & intended learning outcomes
01. Analyse in detail the intersection of contemporary anthropology with the popular media.
- Essay, in-class test
02. Apply anthropological theory and methodologies to diverse issues and processes relating to popular culture
- Research essay
03. Assess in writing and analysis the role of anthropological methodologies to understanding key issues in popular culture
- Short essay, Research Essay, in-class test
04. Carry out in-depth research and develop complex arguments on a relevant topic in Anthropology
- Research essay
05. Prepare a sustained and critically reflective written argument in Anthropology
06. Reflect critically on ethical issues relating to issues in Anthropology
- Essays, in-class test and lecture/tutorial discussions
Select to view your study options…
Melbourne, 2016, Semester 1, Day
Maximum enrolment sizeN/A
Subject Instance Co-ordinatorJohn Taylor
One 2.0 hours lecture per week on weekdays from week 10 to week 22 and delivered via face-to-face.
One 1.0 hours tutorial per week on weekdays from week 10 to week 22 and delivered via face-to-face.
|in-class assessment tasks (1,500-word equivalent)||40||01, 03, 06|
|one 1,500-word essay||35||01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06|
|one creative assignment (1,000-word essay)||25||03, 05, 06|