FOUNDATIONS OF ART THERAPY A
Credit points: 15
In this subject students will be introduced to the diversity of theoretical approaches which constitute and differentiate the practice of art therapy. The practice of art therapy draws on theory from the domains of psychology and creativity. In this subject, we investigate the main psychological theories which have played a role and those in popular current use. This overview locates the humanistic art therapy approach at La Trobe University in context. The theoretical constructs introduced within the subject are counterbalanced with an experiential understanding of art therapy process through personal art making.
SchoolSchool of Psychology & Public Health
Subject Co-ordinatorPatricia Fenner
Available to Study Abroad StudentsNo
Subject year levelYear Level 4 - UG/Hons/1st Yr PG
Prerequisites Must be enrolled in HMART - Master of Art Therapy.
|Resource Type||Title||Resource Requirement||Author and Year||Publisher|
|Readings||Approaches to art therapy: Theory and technique. 2nd Edn.||Recommended||Rubin, J.A. 2001||HOVE AND NEW YORK: BRUNNER ROUTLEDGE.|
|Readings||Art as a way of knowing||Recommended||Allen, P.B. 1995||BOSTON: SHAMBALA.|
|Readings||Handbook of Art Therapy||Recommended||Malchiodi, C. 2003||NY: GUILDFORD PRESS.|
|Readings||The arts therapies: a revolution in healthcare||Recommended||Jones, P 2005||HOVE & NEW YORK: BRUNNER ROUTLEDGE.|
Graduate capabilities & intended learning outcomes
01. Identify key psychological theories and their applications in the development and practice of art therapy
- Lectures, class activities
02. Express and appropriately present personal material to others through art making
- Homework art making task and presentation to class
03. Compare and contrast psychological theories influencing art therapy practice
- Lectures, class group work
04. Demonstrate advanced level interpersonal skills, most particularly empathetic listening and observation
- Class small group work, whole class art activities
Select to view your study options…
Melbourne, 2015, Week 08-09, Day
Maximum enrolment sizeN/A
Subject Instance Co-ordinatorPatricia Fenner
One 5.0 days block mode per study period and delivered via face-to-face.
"Block mode teaching over 5 full days: 19th - 21st Feb & 27th - 28th Feb."
|1000 word reflective paper||This paper accompanies a hrdle task of self box and class presentation||30|
|Attendance and participation in class discussion||10|