CLINICAL PLACEMENT B
Credit points: 15
In this second clinical placement subject, you will have an opportunity to integrate theory into practice, under supervision, in a wider range of clinical and community settings. You will undertake placements in aged care, rural health and ambulance service settings. These varied clinical experiences will enable you to develop as clinicians within the framework of the Paramedics Australasia Competency Standards for Paramedics. While on clinical placement, you will have the opportunity to practice and develop your clinical skills in the management of patients with chronic and acute health conditions in supervised clinical environments.
SchoolLa Trobe Rural Health School
Subject Co-ordinatorRay Gleeson
Available to Study Abroad StudentsYes
Subject year levelYear Level 3 - UG
Prerequisites PAR3CTM and PAR3PMM
|Resource Type||Title||Resource Requirement||Author and Year||Publisher|
|Readings||Clinical Practice Guidelines for Ambulance and MICA Paramedics||Prescribed||Ambulance Victoria 2014||BLUE STAR PRINT MELBOURNE (SUPPLIED BY LTU)|
|Readings||Mosby's Paramedic Textbook||Prescribed||Sanders, MJ 2010||4TH EDN, ELSEVIER MOSBY, ST LOUIS, USA|
Graduate capabilities & intended learning outcomes
01. Explain the care you provide to patients while supervised within emergency ambulance services, aged care and rural health settings
- Undertake supervised clinical practice with an ambulance service, aged care facility and a rural health service.
02. Perform as an effective and responsible team member and work, under supervision, with paramedics and other health care professionals to provide appropriate patient care within emergency ambulance services, aged care and rural health settings
- Observe the professional interactions of health professionals in different settings.
03. Recognise, and perform, your role and responsibilities in emergency ambulance services, aged care and rural health settings under supervision
- Examine the organisational similarities and differences between the operation of ambulance services, aged care facilities and rural health services.
04. Assimilate information and communicate it clearly as appropriate for emergency ambulance services, aged care and rural health settings
- Examine and interpret the patient care records in the emergency ambulance service, aged care and rural health settings.
05. Critically reflect on and review your clinical practice to determine, and put in place, strategies for improvement.
- Complete a reflective essay on the role of paramedics in the aged care and/or rural health settings.
Select to view your study options…
Bendigo, 2015, Semester 2, Day
Maximum enrolment sizeN/A
Subject Instance Co-ordinatorRay Gleeson
Placement - Off Site
One 140.0 hours placement - off site per study period on any day including weekend during the day from week 31 to week 43 and delivered via blended.
|One 1,500-word assignment||60||01, 05|
|One 15-minute clinical assessment scenario (equivalent to 500-words)||Hurdle requirement||1||02, 01, 04|
|One 2,000-word online reflective journal||39||01, 02, 05, 04, 03|