Dr Katherine A Seaton
Associate Professor, Department Coordinator of Teaching and Learning
College of Science, Health and Engineering
School of Engineering and Mathematical Sciences
Department of Mathematics and Statistics
Physical Sciences 2, Room 214, Melbourne (Bundoora)
B.Sc Hons, PhD UMELB., GradCertHECTL (Latrobe)
Membership of professional associations
Member Australian Mathematical Society (Women in Maths and ANZAMP Special Interest Groups), Member Mathematical Association of Victoria
Area of study
Mathematics and Statistics
Course Coordinator for Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Science Education and (from 2015) Bachelor of Science/Master of Teaching.
My research interests include solvable models in statistical mechanics and the scholarship of teaching and learning, and I have also been involved in some joint publications in statistical methods.
Among other service to the University, I have served as School Director of Teaching and Learning [2009-2011], Chair of the Faculty OSP Committee [2008-2011], and been the FSTE representative on the University Appeals Committee (formerly APRC) [2007-2012, 2014-].
My outreach activities include school visits, presentations at the MAV conference and work for the VCAA related to senior secondary mathematics.
In 2008 I received an individual La Trobe Citation for Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning, and in 2011 I coordinated the First Year Mathematics Team application which received a Vice-Chancellor’s Award for Teaching Excellence.
MAT1NLA (Linear Algebra stream) (2014-present)
STA2MD Models for Data Analysis (2012, 2014-present)
MAT2MEC Mechanics (2015)
MAT2VCA Vector Calculus (2001-2011)
- K.A. Seaton, Curriculum redesign to provide opportunities for a diversity of students, International Journal of Innovation in Science and Mathematics Education, 23(1), 74-81 (2015)
- K.A. Seaton, Number Patterns and Rainbow Bands, Prime Number (MAV), 29(3), 8-10 (2014)
- K.A. Seaton, D.M. King and C.E. Sandison, Flipping the maths tutorial: a tale of n departments, Australian Mathematical Society Gazette, 41(2) 99-113 (2014)
- K.A. Seaton, Efficacy and efficiency in formative assessment: an informed reflection on the value of partial marking, International Journal of Mathematical Education in Science and Technology, 44, 963-971 (2013)
- J.C. Galati and K.A. Seaton, MCAR is not necessary for the complete cases to constitute a simple random subsample of the target sample, Statistical Methods in Medical Research, DOI: 10.1080/00949655.2012.727815, 8pp (2012)
- J.C. Galati, K.A. Seaton, K.J. Lee, J.A. Simpson and J.B. Carlin, Rounding non-binary categorical variables following multivariate normal imputation: evaluation of simple methods and implications for practice, Journal of Statistical Computation and Simulation, 84(4) 798-811 (2014)
- P.A. Pearce and K.A. Seaton, Off-critical Logarithmic Minimal Models, J. Stat. Mech. P09014, 21pp (2012)