Future Thinking: Water, Agriculture and Social Change
This symposium is a conversation starter – a moment for reflection on what has been, in order to prepare for, plan & dream about the future.
- Friday 15 September 2023 08:30 am until Friday 15 September 2023 01:00 pm (Add to calendar)
- Rebecca Crossling
- Presented by:
- Presented by La Trobe University Research Theme Leads
- Type of Event:
- Community Event; Forum/symposium
Regional communities across the globe are undergoing rapid and unprecedented change driven by climate, economic, social and technological factors. These changes are profoundly reshaping the future of Mildura and its surrounding land and waterscapes.
In this symposium, researchers from across La Trobe University come together with community leaders in Mildura to explore what these changes mean.
- How are new agricultural technologies changing people’s relationships with water, land and their local communities?
- How is climate change transforming the plans and dreams that people build for their own future, the future of their children and grandchildren, and the land on which they live?
- How are both climate change and technological change reshaping the texture and fabric of local communities?
Taking water, agriculture and social change as the central themes, speakers will reflect on what the university’s community of researchers can offer to local communities to help them understand and reflect on the important changes that they are experiencing on a daily basis.
It is also an opportunity for researchers to listen and to engage in dialogue with community members. What are the challenges that locals see as the most pressing issues that researchers can help them understand?
This symposium is a conversation starter – a moment for reflection on what has been, in order to prepare for, plan and dream about the future. Each researcher will briefly present on their work in the Sunraysia community, before each panel discussion.
Inspired by local produce, Verdict Catering will be providing our breakfast canapes, morning tea and lunch. Registrations essential!
Breakfast canapes and networking - 8.30am
Session 1: Water Futures - 9.30am - 10.30am
This session will reflect on our changing relationship with water in the Murray Darling Basin.
- Professor Nick Bond, Director of the Centre of Freshwater Ecosystems and La Trobe University Research Theme Lead, Resilient environments and communities
- Dr Heather Downey, Senior Lecturer, Social Work, La Trobe University and Author of: A Green Social Work Study of Environmental and Social Justice in an Australian River Community
- Richard Unsworth, Regional Engagement Officer, Murray-Darling Basin Authority
- More panellists announced soon!
Session 2: Agricultural Futures - 10.45am - 11.45am
This session will reflect on shifting agricultural practices, including technological changes
- Rebecca Wells, Chief Executive, Mallee Regional Innovation Centre (MRIC)
- Associate Professor Monika Doblin, La Trobe University Research Theme Lead Sustainable food and agriculture
- Dr Marsia Collins, Senior Lecturer (Agronomy), La Trobe University
- Associate Professor Robert Ross, Engineering, La Trobe University
- Russell McGifford, General Manager - Operations, Cann Group Limited
Session 3: Social Futures - 12.00pm - 1.00pm
This session will reflect on social change in light of changing relationships with water and agricultural practices
- Dr Raelene Wilding, Head of Department, Social Inquiry, Sociology and La Trobe University Research Theme Lead Social change and equity
- Dr Natalie Araujo, Lecturer, Anthropology, Sustainability and Development, La Trobe University
- More panellists announced soon!
Lunch and networking - 1.00pm - 2.00pm
Brian Grogan Lecture Theatre, La Trobe University
471 Benetook Avenue, Mildura
Other events by type
- Ideas & Society Program: Disability and Australian Society: How Well Are We Doing?
5 Oct 2023 5:00 pm
- Out In Suburbia: The Untold Story of LGBTIQ+ People in Australia's Outer Suburbs
6 Oct 2023 9:30 am
- Reflections on the Voice to Parliament referendum - What are we going through?
6 Oct 2023 1:00 pm
- John Richards Centre 2023 Oration (Hybrid event)
25 Oct 2023 5:15 pm