Accepting your offer

Once you have received a letter of offer from La Trobe University, there are many things you need to consider in the acceptance process. Please refer to our acceptance and pre-departure guide [PDF 4.60MB] for important information on how to accept your offer, along with key university contacts.*

*If you require an alternate version of the guide, please enquire online through Ask La Trobe.

Understanding your letter

Conditional offers

If you have received a conditional offer, please note this is not a full offer. You must fulfil the condition(s) stated in your letter of offer before it can be changed to a full offer.

English language conditions

If English language conditions apply to your offer, you must send your test results to La Trobe International before or when you accept your offer.

  • TOEFL: if you’re taking the paper-based TOEFL, you need to complete the Test of Written English. Achieving a minimum score in the TWE is a requirement of the University.
  • La Trobe College Australia: you could also meet the English language conditions by completing English for Further Studies 5B for undergraduate level or 6B for postgraduate level.

Please note:

  1. the Australian Department of Home Affairs requires students to provide a minimum IELTS score proof as part of the student visa application process
  2. English test results must be no more than two years old.

Academic conditions

If academic conditions apply to your offer, e.g. completing your current studies, you must provide evidence you’ve met the condition before or when you accept your offer.

Original/certified documentation conditions

You can’t enrol without providing original or certified copies of all academic transcripts. If you’ve received an offer but did not submit the required transcripts with your application, you’ll be required to provide these before or when you arrive at the University.

Credit for previous studies (Advanced Standing/recognition of prior learning)

If credit for your previous studies has been approved, you’ll receive a letter from the relevant college in addition to your letter of offer. The course duration shown on your letter of offer will reflect the amount of credit received.

If this credit is conditional, you must provide evidence you’ve satisfactorily met the condition before or when you accept your offer. If you didn’t request assessment for credit when you submitted your application, you can still apply for credit for previous studies. Please make an appointment with the relevant college adviser within the first two weeks of commencing your course.

Please note: if there are any subsequent changes to the duration of your course, e.g. you are given credit after your student visa has been granted, you must notify the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC).


The terms ‘unit’, ‘course’ and ‘program’ are used differently around the world and can sometimes cause confusion.

At La Trobe University:

  • course describes a degree program – e.g. Bachelor of Business – and can be substituted for the word ‘program’
  • subject describes the study modules or units within a degree – typically an undergraduate business course comprises 24 subjects over three years

For example, in the United States a La Trobe ‘subject’ would be called a ‘course’, and a La Trobe ‘course’ would be called a ‘program’.


For most courses, there is no official acceptance deadline, however, we strongly advise you to accept as soon as possible. However, you need to have accepted, registered your arrival and enrolled in your program with the College prior to the final date of enrolment for your program. These dates will be detailed in your Confirmation of Enrolment (COE).

If an acceptance deadline applies to your offer, it will be specified in your letter of offer.

Student visas can take from one to 16 weeks to be processed, and even longer in some cases. Allow yourself as much time as possible to complete all acceptance and visa procedures. This will help to ensure you arrive by the specified commencement date.

Graduate research candidates

If you plan to undertake a Master or doctoral degree, ensure you take note of the acceptance deadline in your letter of offer. You must ensure both the Offer Acceptance and the Reply to an Offer of Higher Degree Candidature forms are returned by the specified date. To request an extension to the acceptance deadline, please email LTI Research.

Your acceptance will be confirmed once payment is received. For international graduate research scholarship applicants, acceptance will be confirmed when the Graduate Research School receives signed confirmation that you wish to accept the scholarship.

How to accept your offer

Direct or VTAC applicants

If you apply directly to the University, your eligibility as a Genuine Temporary Entrant and Genuine Student for visa purposes will be assessed by La Trobe at the time of submitting your application. You may do that if you’re a:

  • student who holds a passport from an Assessment Level 1 and 2 country
  • study abroad and exchange student
  • research student
  • fully sponsored to study in Australia by your Government, university or other authorised bodies
  • current La Trobe University student graduating/articulating from another program
  • have applied direct to La Trobe and then decided to process your application/acceptance further with a La Trobe University authorised agent
  • cross-institutional student applying to study one or two units at La Trobe University.

If the above criteria applies to you, send the following to La Trobe International to accept your offer:

  • completed and signed Offer Acceptance Form [PDF 198KB]
  • payment for the required deposit as set out in your Letter of Offer
  • certified evidence of meeting any conditions specified in your offer, where applicable
  • a letter of guarantee from your sponsoring organisation, where applicable.

You’ll then be issued with a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) that will enable you to apply for a student visa.

If you don't meet any of the above criteria, your eligibility as a Genuine Temporary Entrant and Genuine Student must be determined before finalising your acceptance. You’ll be required to send to La Trobe International:

Upon receipt of your acceptance documents, you’ll be contacted by a La Trobe International representative who’ll conduct a brief interview by phone or in person (for students in Victoria). The interview will include a series of questions and cover areas such as your:

  • reasons for selecting Australia as a study destination, your course selection and whether the course matches your academic and professional background
  • understanding of the career outcomes, structure and delivery mode of the course
  • intention to bring any family members to Australia
  • visa history and details of any visa refusal
  • understanding of fees and living costs, maintaining sufficient funds and work rights while studying
  • understanding of DIAC's role in the student visa process.

If the University determines that you are a Genuine Temporary Entrant and Genuine Student for visa purposes, and you have the financial capacity to support your studies, you can then submit your payment for the deposit as listed in your Letter of Offer.

You’ll then be issued a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) that enables you to apply for a student visa.

Sponsored students receive financial assistance from a government, organisation or company (not from private individuals or relatives) to undertake studies at La Trobe University.

If you’re a sponsored student, please remember to attach a letter of guarantee from an authorised person within the sponsoring organisation. Ensure the letter is on the sponsoring organisation's letterhead. For further information, please email the sponsored programs coordinator.

Students with disabilities

If you have received an offer to study at La Trobe University and think you may require support, it’s important to contact the Equity and Diversity Centre before you accept your offer. This will enable the EAU to determine your eligibility for services.

More information

Refer to the Department of Home Affairs website for information on your level of assessment.

La Trobe University specific FAQs

Refer to the Department of Home Affairs website for information bringing your family, extending your stay and working while studying.

*If you require an alternate version of this content, please email