We’re proud to welcome students from all over the world to La Trobe. To help all our students succeed academically, we have English language requirements for entry into our courses.
We have minimum language requirements for undergraduate, postgraduate and graduate research study at La Trobe. However, some La Trobe courses need a higher level of English language proficiency than these minimum scores.
Our course pages list the required English levels and accepted test methods needed for entry. If you know the course you want to study, you can search for your course and check its specific entry requirements.
Once you know your course’s language requirements, look through this section to see the ways you can prove your English language proficiency.
Any scenario that isn’t outlined in the pages in this section will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
Due to ongoing lockdowns in some parts of the world related to COVID-19, we have updated our English language policies and procedures to allow applicants who are unable to sit standard English tests to meet our English language requirements.
Tests considered for impacted applicants are TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition, IELTS Indicator, and Duolingo. Please find below the equivalency table.
This temporary arrangement will apply to impacted applicants for the remaining 2022 coursework intakes.
An impacted applicant is the student residing in the COVID impacted location where standard tests are canceled in lieu of the Government guidelines.
TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition
|TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition||Overall 64 / with 13 in Reading, 12 in Listening, 18 in Speaking, and 21 in Writing||Overall 79 / with 13 in Reading, 12 in Listening, 18 in Speaking, and 21 in Writing||Not accepted||Not accepted|
|IELTS Indicator||6.0/6.0||6.5/6.0||Not accepted||Not accepted|
The temporary validity of the test will only be from the time between the test (test taken from May 2022) and course commencement.
|Duolingo||100||110||Not accepted||Not accepted|
These changes only apply to La Trobe University’s English language admission criteria for our courses and do not affect student visa or course registration requirements.
As part of applying for a student visa, you will need to meet the Australian Government’s English language requirements. Refer to the Department of Home Affairs website for further information. Depending on your course you may also have to meet registration requirements for other government bodies and professional associations.
Accepted alternatives to IELTS test scores
While IELTS scores are our primary measure of English proficiency, we may accept tests other than IELTS if your overall score is the equivalent of the required IELTS score.
Once you know your course’s minimum accepted IELTS score, check that score against the information below to see its equivalent score in other English proficiency tests.
|International English Language Test (IELTS) Academic||IELTS Overall 6.0, no band less than 6.0||IELTS Overall 6.5, no band less than 6.0||IELTS Overall 7.0, no band less than 6.5||IELTS Overall 7.0, no band less than 7.0||IELTS Overall 7.5, no band less than 7.0|
|United Kingdom Visa and Immigration International English Language Test (IELTS)||IELTS Overall 6.0, no band less than 6.0||IELTS Overall 6.5, no band less than 6.0||IELTS Overall 7.0, no band less than 6.5||NA||IELTS Overall 7.5, no band less than 7.0|
|Pearson Test of English (Academic) (PTE)|
Overall score of 50 with no communicative skill score less than 50 (Academic - Test before 1 Dec 2020)
Pearson Test of English (Academic - Test after 1 Dec 2020) (PTE) Overall score of 46 with no communicative skill score less than 46
Overall score of 58 with no communicative skill score less than 50 (Academic - Test before 1 Dec 2020)
Pearson Test of English (Academic – Test after 1 Dec 2020) (PTE) Overall score of 56 with no communicative skill score less than 46
Overall score of 65 with no communicative skill score less than 58 (Academic - Test before 1 Dec 2020)
Pearson Test of English (Academic - Test after 1 Dec 2020) (PTE) Overall score of 66 with no communicative skill score less than 56
|Overall score of 65 with no communicative skill score less than 65|
Overall score of 73 with no communicative skill score less than 65 (Academic - Test before 1 Dec 2020)
Pearson Test of English (Academic - Test after 1 Dec 2020) (PTE) Overall score of 76 with no communicative skill score less than 66
|TOEFL Internet based (iBT)||Overall score of 64 with 13 in Reading, 12 in Listening, 18 in Speaking and 21 in Writing||Overall score of 79 with 13 in Reading, 12 in Listening, 18 in Speaking and 21 in Writing||Overall score of 94 with 19 in Reading, 20 in Listening, 20 in Speaking and 24 in Writing||Overall 98 with 24 in Reading, 24 in Listening, 23 in Speaking and 27 in Writing||Overall 102 with 24 in Reading, 24 in Listening, 23 in Speaking and 27 in Writing|
|Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English (CAE) / Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE)||169 with no less than 169 in any component||176 with no less than 169 in any component||185 with no less than 176 in any component||NA||191 with no less than 185 in any component|
Note : Not all courses accept alternatives English test. Please check ‘ courses with specific English test requirement’
Courses accepting IELTS test only
- Bachelor of Dental Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Dietetics (Honours)
- Bachelor of Early Childhood and Primary Education
- Bachelor of Education (Primary)
- Bachelor of Education (Secondary)
- Bachelor of Educational Studies
- Bachelor of Occupational Therapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Oral Health Science
- Bachelor of Orthoptics (Honours)
- Bachelor of Paramedic Practice with Honours
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy (Honours)
- Bachelor of Podiatry (Honours)
- Bachelor of Prosthetics and Orthotics
- Master of Teaching (Primary)
- Master of Teaching (Secondary)
Courses accepting IELTS and TOEFL test only
- Bachelor of Speech Pathology (Honours)
- Master of Dietetic Practice
- Master of Speech Pathology
Courses accepting IELTS, TOEFL and PTE test only
- Bachelor of Nursing
- Bachelor of Nursing (Enrolled Nurse)
- Bachelor of Nursing (Graduate Entry)
- Master of Clinical Audiology
- Master of Clinical Psychology
- Master of Occupational Therapy Practice
- Master of Physiotherapy Practice
- Master of Social Work
- La Trobe only uses IELTS academic test for entry into our courses.
- Where you have results from more than one of these English language tests, only your most recent single achievement will be considered in our admission decision.
- If you qualify from a La Trobe program and intend to gain professional registration to become a practitioner in Australia, you may need to meet the relevant professional accrediting agency’s English language registration standard.
- Your evidence demonstrating English language proficiency must be no older than two years, unless stated otherwise.
- We reserve the right to require that any applicant undergo an English language test.
- You’ll still need to meet the academic entry requirements of your course. Specific requirements may differ between degree programs, so check our courses page for details.
- **Pearson Test of English (Academic) (PTE) updated their IELTS equivalency as of 1 December 2020 for more information, visit the Pearson website.
English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS) are designed for students who require English language training before they commence tertiary study in Australia.
Find out more about the La Trobe approved ELICOS programs available at La Trobe College Australia.
Other proof of English proficiency
We may also consider other factors when assessing if you meet the language requirements for your course, such as whether you’ve studied or worked in an English-speaking country.
Learn more about other ways to meet our English language standards.