La Trobe research infrastructure grants
Competitive grant scheme
Research infrastructure grants for assets valued from $5,000 are distributed each year to support research within the University. A call for proposals is made biannually by the Office of Research Infrastructure. Researchers are encouraged to consider external funding, such as LIEF grants and collaborations with colleagues at other Universities where the required equipment may already be available, prior to applying for a research equipment grant. The LIEF register provides a list of existing infrastructure funded through the scheme.
Applications are now open for the first competitive round of 2018 research infrastructure capital funding and close on Thur 14th September 2017.
Researchers should first discuss their equipment needs with the Manager of Research Infrastructure prior to completing the application form.
Submissions are assessed and prioritised by the College Research Committees and the Research Infrastructure Advisory Group (RIAG) before a final decision is made by the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research).
Download the Research Infrastructure Application Form [DOC 44KB] (LTU staff only)
For enquiries please contact us.
Ongoing process for Research Infrastructure funding
It is recognised that during the course of the year the purchase of new infrastructure may be required to meet immediate research needs. The needs may result from a number of circumstances, e.g. equipment breaking down and requiring replacement, additional equipment required to meet increases in demand, appointment of new staff with specific research needs, etc.
Below details the process for out-of-session capital funding allocations for the purchase of research infrastructure (which must be valued in excess of $5,000).
- Researchers should first discuss their needs with the Manager of Research Infrastructure, prior to completing the application form.
- Applicant downloads the Research Infrastructure Application Form [DOC 44KB] (La Trobe staff intranet login required).
- Applicant emails the completed form to the relevant Head of School for endorsement.
- Head of School emails the endorsed form to College Pro-Vice Chancellor.
- College PVC emails the form to the Manager of Research Infrastructure (MRI) indicating their support for the proposal.
- MRI advises College PVC and PVC (Research Development), recommending the proposed level of central support for the purchase.
- PVC (Research Development) approves the use of central capital towards purchase of requested research infrastructure, notifies College PVC and MRI of the outcome.
Prior to submitting an application for research infrastructure funding researchers are encouraged to check the LIEF Register that summarises the infrastructure, equipment and facilities which have been funded under the LIEF scheme.