La Trobe research infrastructure grants
Competitive grant scheme
Research infrastructure grants for assets valued from $5,000 are distributed each year to support research within the University via a call for proposals by the Office of Research Infrastructure.
Researchers are encouraged to consider external funding or collaborations with colleagues at other Universities where the required equipment may already be available, prior to applying for a research equipment grant. For equipment valued over $150,000, external funding, such as LIEF grants, must be sought. The LIEF register provides a list of existing infrastructure funded through the scheme.
Researchers must first check that the equipment is not already available within the University using the Research Equipment Database (La Trobe login required) and then discuss their equipment needs with the Senior Manager, Research Infrastructure, prior to completing the application form. Please note that applications must be endorsed by their school's Associate Dean, Research & Industry Engagement prior to submission to the Senior Manager, Research Infrastructure.
Applications are now open and close 5 pm on Wednesday 13th April 2022.
Download the Research Infrastructure Application Form [DOC 44KB] (La Trobe staff intranet login required)
For enquiries please contact us.
Ongoing process for research infrastructure funding
It is recognised that during the course of the year the purchase of new infrastructure may be required to meet immediate research needs. The needs may result from a number of circumstances, e.g. equipment breaking down and requiring replacement, additional equipment required to meet increases in demand, appointment of new staff with specific research needs, etc.
Below details the process for out-of-session capital funding allocations for the purchase of research infrastructure (which must be valued in excess of $5,000).
- Researchers should first check that the equipment is not already available within the University using the Research Equipment Database (La Trobe login required) and then discuss their needs with the Senior Manager, Research Infrastructure (MRI), prior to completing the application form.
- Applicant downloads the Research Infrastructure Application Form [DOC 44KB] (La Trobe staff intranet login required).
- Applicant emails the completed form to their school’s Associate Dean, Research & Industry Engagement for endorsement.
- The applicant emails the completed form and endorsement as a single pdf to the MRI.
- The MRI seeks endorsement from the Provost.
- MRI advises the PVC (Research Capability), recommending the proposed level of central support for the purchase.
- PVC (Research Capability) approves the use of capital funding towards the purchase of requested research infrastructure.
Prior to submitting an application for research infrastructure funding researchers are encouraged to check the LIEF Register that summarises the infrastructure, equipment and facilities which have been funded under the LIEF scheme.