Research in the School of Agriculture, Biomedicine and Environment is the living embodiment of strength in diversity. We study all aspects of life on earth, from chemistry, genes and cells through to the diversity, physiology and ecology of microbes, plants and animals. Our research includes applications focused towards improving human health, increasing agricultural production and achieving environmental sustainability.
With more than 120 research groups across molecular, biological, chemical and biomedical sciences, our staff and students have access to a wide range of equipment and facilities to allow us to conduct internationally competitive research. While our research is built on strong foundations of fundamental, “blue sky” science, we actively seek out opportunities to work with end users to translate outcomes into applied or clinical products.
For information on the different research groups within the School, see the research booklets on our department websites.
Prospective PhD students
We have many project opportunities and scholarships available for prospective PhD students. Scholarship applications are now open and close 31 July, 2022 (open to Australian and New Zealand students as well as international students who are already on-shore). Further opportunities for all applicants will be available later this year.
For general La Trobe merit-based scholarships you need to first find a supervisor. We recommend browsing our research booklets (see above) which have overviews of all our research groups and then making contact with individual supervisors according to your interests.
There are also some specific project-based scholarships available.
Our research centres
SABE is home to two research institutes and many research centres. These provide critical mass and vibrant intellectual environments to our researchers in these research fields. We are also a major partner in the Mallee Regional Innovation Centre.
- La Trobe Institute for Agriculture and Food
- La Trobe Institute for Molecular Science
- Centre for Freshwater Ecosystems
- Centre for Future Landscapes
- ARC Industrial Transformation Research Hub for Medicinal Agriculture
- ARC Centre of Excellence in Plant Energy Biology
- Research Centre for Cardiovascular Biology and Disease
- Biomedical & Environmental Sensor Technology Centre
- Centre for Extracellular Vesicles
- Centre for Molecular Cancer Prevention
- Research centre for Applied Alpine Ecology
- Mallee Regional Innovation Centre