Physiology of exercise, physical activity and rehabilitation
The Physiology of Exercise, Physical Activity and Rehabilitation (PEPAR) Research Program includes academic staff within the La Trobe Rural Health School (disciplines of exercise science physiology, physiotherapy and public health) and extensive internal and external collaborators.
PEPAR aims to inform evidence-based exercise and physical activity to enhance the health of Australians and enable sports people to perform at a higher level and compete more successfully. Our interdisciplinary research in exercise physiology, biomechanics, sports medicine, sports psychology and motor control closely aligns with La Trobe’s Healthy people, families and communities research theme and demonstrated strength in Human Movement and Sport Science, which was rated as “well‑above world standard” in the last three national research assessment exercises.
As experts in the measurement and restoration of human movement, we employ cutting-edge laboratory and field-based technologies including non-invasive physiological measurement techniques, three-dimensional motion analyses, wearable sensor technologies, musculoskeletal function analyses, and quantitative imaging techniques.
- examine acute and chronic responses to physical activity and exercise
- design, deliver and monitor exercise interventions to optimise function and performance benefits for healthy people, the de-conditioned, those with diseases/injuries as well as elite athletes
- conduct high-quality trials to evaluate the effectiveness of current and emerging exercise and physical activity based treatments.
Dr Simon Locke -Sports Physician
Dr Voltaire Nadurata - Cardiologist, Bendigo Health
Higher Degree by Research students
|Student name||Degree||Supervisor||Project title|
|Stephen Barrett||Masters||A/Prof Michael Kingsley||Integrated community partnership model of recruitment and retention into physical activity programs|
|Janet Cobden||Masters||A/Prof Michael Kingsley||Prevalence of frailty in community-dwelling older persons|
|Luke Daly||PhD||A/Prof Michael Kingsley||What is the influence of exercise dose on cardiac arrhythmias|
|Dimitri Diacogiorgis||ProfDoc||Dr Byron Perrin||Evidence-based clinical pathway for the management of high risk foot – Charcot Neuroarthropathy|
|Lakshmi Jayalath||Masters||Dr Marcos de Noronha||The effect of fatigue on physiological and biomechanical parameters around the ankle|
|Samantha May||Masters||A/Prof Michael Kingsley||Skeletal muscle adaptations to Achilles tendinopathy|
|Emma McDonald||PhD||A/Prof Michael Kingsley||The use of technology to prevent diabetes-related foot morbidity in rural and regional populations|
|Helen Nightingale||PhD||A/Prof Michael Kingsley||An antenatal weight management intervention for rural women|
|Philip Shambrook||PhD||Dr Brett Gordon||Effectiveness of intermittent exercise to enhance cardio-metabolic health|
|Craig Staunton||PhD||A/Prof Michael Kingsley||Identification and monitoring of training load and overreaching in elite team sport athletes|
|Paul Xanthos||PhD||A/Prof Michael Kingsley||Efficacy of resistive exercise-based cardiac rehabilitation|
|Anita Zacharias||PhD||A/Prof Rod Green||Hip stabilizer muscle structure and function in a hip osteoarthritis population|
- Xanthos, P.D., Gordon, B.A., Kingsley, M. (2017) Implementing resistance training in the rehabilitation of coronary heart disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis. International Journal of Cardiology. 1;230:493-508
- Staunton, C., Gordon, B., Custovic, E., Stanger, J., Kingsley, M. (2017) Sleep patterns and match performance in elite Australian basketball athletes. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport. 20(8): 786-789
- Devlin, B.L., Leveritt, M.D., Kingsley, M., Belski, R. (2017) Dietary Intake, Body Composition and Nutrition Knowledge of Australian Football and Soccer Players: Implications for Sports Nutrition Professionals in Practice. International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism. 27(2): 130-138. [Epub ahead of print]
- Staunton C, Wundersitz, D., Gordon, B., Kingsley, M. (2017). Construct validity of accelerometry-derived force to quantify basketball movement patterns. International Journal of Sports Medicine; in-press
- Landolt, K., Maruff, P., Horan, B., Kingsley, M., Kinsella, G., O’Halloran, P.D., Hale, M.W., Wright, B.J. (in press). Chronic work stress and decreased vagal tone impairs decision making and reaction time in jockeys. Psychoneuroendocrinology. doi: 10.1016/j.psyneuen.2017.07.238
- Peiris, C., Shields, N., Kingsley, M., Hau, R., Yeung, J, Taylor, N. (2017). The maximum tolerated dose of walking for community-dwelling people recovering from hip fracture: a dose-response trial. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. pii: S0003-9993(17)30261-7. doi: 10.1016/j.apmr.2017.03.027
- MacDonald, E. Perrin, B., Kingsley, M. (2017) Enablers and barriers associated with the use of information technology for the management of adults with diabetes: a descriptive systematic review. Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare. 1357633X17699990. doi: 10.1177/1357633X17699990
- Devlin, B.L., Leveritt, M.D., Kingsley, M., Belski, R. (2017) Seasonal changes in soccer players' body composition and dietary intake practices. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. In-press
- Landolt, K., O’Halloran, P., Hale, M.W., Horan, B., Kinsella, G., Kingsley, M., Maruff, P., Wright, B. (2017) Identifying the sources of stress and rewards in a group of Australian apprentice jockeys. Qualitative Research in Sport, Exercise and Health. DOI: 10.1080/2159676X.2017.1340329
- Rathi, S., Taylor, N.F. and Green, R.A. (2017) The upper and lower segments of subscapularis muscle have different roles in glenohumeral joint functioning. Journal of Biomechanics http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiomech.2017.08.007. In-press
- Bini, R.R., Jaques, T., Carpes, F.P. and Vaz, Marco Aurélio. (2017) Effectiveness of pedalling retraining in reducing bilateral pedal force asymmetries. Journal of Sports Sciences, 35: 1336-1341.
- Quesada, J.I.P. , Sampaio, L.T. , Bini, R.R., Rossato, M., Cavalcanti, V. (2017) Multifactorial cycling performance of Cyclists and Non-Cyclists and their effect on skin temperature. Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry, 127: 1479-1489.
- Muniz, A.M.S. , Bini, R.R. (2017) Shock attenuation characteristics of three different military boots during gait. Gait & Posture, 58: 59-65.
- Piucco, T., Bini, R.R., Sakaguchi, M., Diefenthaeler, F., Stefanyshyn, D. (2017) Motor unit firing frequency of lower limb muscles during an incremental slide board skating test. Sports Biomechanics, 16: 540-551.
- Lanferdini, F.J., Bini, R.R., Baroni, B.M., Klein, K., Carpes, F.P., Vaz Marco (2017). Low-level laser therapy improves performance and reduces fatigue in competitive cyclists. International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance, In-press.
- Bini, R.R., Hoefelmann, C.P., Costa, V.P., Difenthaeler, F. (2017). Reproducibility of upper leg EMG frequency content during cycling. Journal of Sports Sciences, In-press.
- Toohey, L. A., Noronha, M. de, Taylor, C., Thomas, J. (2017). The validity and reliability of the sphygmomanometer for hip strength assessment in Australian football players. Physiotherapy Theory and Practice, 0(0), 1–6. https://doi.org/10.1080/09593985.2017.1374492
- Xanthos, P.D., Gordon, B.A., Begg, S., Nadurata, V., Kingsley, M.I. (2016) A comparison of age-standardised event rates for acute and chronic coronary heart disease in metropolitan and regional/remote Victoria: a retrospective cohort study. BMC Public Health. 11,16(1):391
- Moore, M., Warburton, J., O'Halloran, P., Shields, N., Kingsley, M. (2016) Effective Community-based Physical Activity Interventions for Older Adults Living in Rural and Regional Areas: A Systematic Review. Journal of Aging and Physical Activity. 24(1):158-67
- Rathi S, Taylor NF & Green RA (2016) The effect of in vivo rotator cuff muscle contraction on glenohumeral joint translation: an ultrasonographic and electromyographic study. Journal of Biomechanics. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jbiomech.2016.10.014
- Rathi S, Taylor NF, Gee J & Green RA (2016) Measurement of glenohumeral joint translation using real-time ultrasound imaging: A physiotherapist and sonographer intra-rater and inter-rater reliability study. Manual Therapy. 26:110-116.
- Zacharias A, Pizzari T, English D, Kapakoulakis T & Green RA, (2016) Hip abductor muscle volume in hip osteoarthritis and matched controls. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage. 24: 1727-1735.
- Gordon BA, Bird SR, MacIsaac RJ, Benson AC. Does a single bout of resistance or aerobic exercise after insulin dose reduction modulate glycaemic control in type 2 diabetes? A randomised cross-over trial. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport. 2016;19(10):795-799.
- Gordon BA, Bruce L, Benson AC. Physical activity in open spaces can be accurately monitored by smartphone global positioning system ‘app’. European Journal of Sports Science. 2016;16(5):624-631
- Bini, R.R., Jaques, T., Vaz, Marco Aurélio (2016). Joint Torques and Patellofemoral Force During Single-Leg Assisted and Unassisted Cycling. Journal of Sport Rehabilitation, 25:40-47.
- Bini, R.R., Dagnese, F., Rocha, E. , Silveira, M.C., Carpes, F.P., MOTA, C.B. (2016). Three-dimensional kinematics of competitive and recreational cyclists across different workloads during cycling. European Journal of Sport Science, 16: 553-559.
- Bini, R.R., Hume P.A (2016). A comparison of static and dynamic measures of lower limb joint angles in cycling: Application to bicycle fitting. Human Movement Journal, 17: 36-42.
- Quesada, J.I.P. ,Jaques, T., Bini, R.R., Carpes, F.P. (2016) Importance of static adjustment of knee angle to determine saddle height in cycling. Journal of Science and Cycling, 5: 16-31.
- Bini, R.R. (2016) The need for a link between bike fitting and injury risk. Journal of Science and Cycling, 5: 1-2.
- Lanferdini, F.J., Bini, R.R., Figueiredo, P., Diefenthaeler, F., Mota, C.B., Vaz, Marco Aurélio (2016). Differences in Pedalling Technique in Cycling: A Cluster Analysis. International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance, 11: 959-964.
- Bini, R.R., Jaques, T., Sperb, C., Lanferdini, F.J., Vaz, M.A (2016). Pedal force asymmetries and performance during 20-km cycling time trial. Kinesiology (Zagreb), 48: 193-199.
- Hendy, A., Tillman, A., Rantalainen, T., Muthalib, M., Johnson, L., Kidgell, D., Wundersitz, D., Enticott, P., Teo, W. (2016) Concurrent transcranial direct current stimulation and progressive resistance training in Parkinson’s disease: protocol for a double-blind randomised controlled pilot study. Trials. 17(1), 326.
- Rantalainen, T., Hart, N., Nimphius, S., Wundersitz, D. (2016) Associations between step duration variability and inertial measurement unit derived gait characteristics. Journal of Applied Biomechanics. 32(4), 401-406.
- Alexander, J.P., Hopkinson, T., Wundersitz, D., Serpell, B.G., Mara, J., Ball, N.B. (2016) Validity of a wearable accelerometer to measure average acceleration values during high speed running. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. 30(11), 3007-3013.
- Gibbons, E. M., Thomson, A. N., de Noronha, M., Joseph, S. (2016). Are virtual reality technologies effective in improving lower limb outcomes for patients following stroke - a systematic review with meta-analysis. Topics in Stroke Rehabilitation, 1–18. https://doi.org/10.1080/10749357.2016.1183349
- Nunes, G. S., de Noronha, M. (2016). Postural stabilization after single-leg vertical jump in individuals with chronic ankle instability. Physical Therapy in Sport. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ptsp.2016.07.011
- Nunes, G. S., de Noronha, M., Vargas, V. Z., Wageck, B., Dos Santos Haupenthal, D. P., da Luz, C. M. (2016). Knowledge of the modality comes from rigorous research. Journal of Physiotherapy, 62(2), 118–119. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jphys.2016.02.001
- Nunes, G. S., de Noronha, M., Wageck, B., Scirea, J. B., Haupenthal, A., Michaelsen, S. M. (2016). Movement adjustments in preparation for single-leg jumps in individuals with functional ankle instability. Human Movement Science, 49, 301–307. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.humov.2016.08.001
- Wageck, B., Nunes, G. S., Bohlen, N. B., Santos, G. M., de Noronha, M. (2016). Kinesio Taping does not improve the symptoms or function of older people with knee osteoarthritis: a randomised trial. Journal of Physiotherapy. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jphys.2016.05.012
Project Grants Awarded
- Kingsley M, Bini R, Wundersitz D - Lower limb loads during simulated postal delivery using bicycles. Australia Post and Sport Exercise & Rehabilitation RFA, 2017
- Kingsley M, O’Halloran P, Alahakoon D - Quantifying physical activity patterns using wrist-worn accelerometers. Sport Exercise & Rehabilitation RFA, 2017
- Kingsley M, Wundersitz D - Cardiac pathologies in recreational cyclists: what are the chances? Bendigo Tertiary Education Anniversary Foundation, 2017
- Green R, Pizzari T, Semciw A, Woodley S, Kingsley M - Development of an evidence-based rehabilitation program for hip osteoarthritis. Arthritis Australia, Arthritis New Zealand, 2017
- Bini R, Hume P - Reproducibility of 3D joint motion and 3D joint kinetics during stationary cycling. AUTM-SPRINZ funding, 2017
- Wright B, O’Halloran P, Hale M, Kinsella G, Kingsley M - Improving jockey performance and safety: the effects of concussion. Racing Victoria and Sport Exercise & Rehabilitation RFA, 2016-2018
- Williams C. A et al. O’Halloran, P C1 J (2016-2020) Physical Activity, Exercise, Sport and Recreation Promotion for Adolescents with CF. Cystic Fibrosis Trust
- Kvist, J., Adern, C., Webster, K., O’Halloran P, CI D (2016-2018 ) A novel web-based intervention to facilitate returning to sport after serious injury. Swedish Research Council
- de Noronha M, Mattiello S M - The effects of different exercise protocols and different delivery methods on the progression of knee osteoarthritis. SPRINT – São Paulo Researchers in International Collaboration; 2016