What is a Mental Health Clinician's Duty of Care?
Implications of the new Mental Health and Wellbeing Act
- Thursday 02 November 2023 03:30 pm until Thursday 02 November 2023 05:00 pm (Add to calendar)
- Zali Stevens
- Presented by:
- La Trobe Law School
- Type of Event:
Victoria has ushered in a new era of mental health care with the recent enactment of the Victorian Mental Health and Wellbeing Act. This landmark legislation brings about profound changes to the legal responsibilities of clinicians in the state. It is imperative for professionals, consumers, carers, and stakeholders to comprehend these changes and their wider implications.
- Flick Grey: A former member of the Independent Review Panel, Flick centres lived experience of involuntary treatment, alongside a critique of how the rhetoric of “duty of care” is invoked to (extra-legally) detain and coerce people subjected to mental health law.
- Dr Tina Popa: Based at RMIT University as a Senior Lecturer, Dr Popa has extensively researched negligence law, psychiatric harm and the evolution of non-adversarial approaches in health law. Her insights into the Act's implications will shed light on its transformative potential.
- Dr Christopher Ryan: As both a Clinical Associate Professor at the University of Sydney and the University of New South Wales and the Director of Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry at Sydney’s St Vincent Hospital, Dr Ryan’s blend of academic and practical knowledge offers a contextual understanding of the Act's clinical implications.
This webinar promises a comprehensive overview of the Victorian Mental Health and Wellbeing Act, allowing participants to engage with experts and deepen their understanding of the shifting landscape of mental health care in Victoria. Ensure you are informed and join the conversation.
This event is hosted by La Trobe University Law School's Law in Context Research Cluster.
Other events by type
- Science communication in a public health emergency
6 Dec 2023 12:30 pm
- Laryngeal Surgery for Voice Modification
7 Dec 2023 7:00 pm
- Good Clinical Practice (GCP): An Introduction
2 Feb 2024 9:00 am
- Unconstrained: The theory and practice of ecological dynamics in sport
5 Feb 2024 9:00 am
- Good Clinical Practice (GCP): A Refresher
6 Feb 2024 10:00 am