Indigenous Education forum
Our second forum exploring indigenous knowledge to enhance student experience. Supported by the 150th anniversary of Tertiary Education in Bendigo
- Tuesday 21 November 2023 05:30 pm until Tuesday 21 November 2023 05:30 pm (Add to calendar)
- Dr Scott Alterator Director Indigenous Education Futures, School of Education
- Presented by:
- Asscociate Professor Marnee Shay from the University of Queensland
- Type of Event:
- Community Event; Forum/symposium
- FREE EVENT
Guest Presenter Associate Professor Marnee Shay will explore how problems and discourses of pathology have inadvertently impacted research policy and practice in Indigenous education. Marnee will share some examples from her research program where she has successfully applied strengths-based approaches and developed new understandings of old problems as a result.
Indigenous education continues to be shaped by three words: close. the. gap. Research is also an industry that is centred on problems. How do we respond?
The text ‘Indigenous Education in Australia Learning and Teaching for Deadly Futures’ edited by Marnee Shay and Rhonda Oliver advocates approaches in Indigenous education that are informed by a strengths-based lens. Strengths-based approaches have significantly influenced Marnee’s practice approaches as a secondary school teacher and now in her research in the field of Indigenous education.
La Trobe Art Institute 121 View Street Bendigo
Other events by type
- Recovery College Symposium
4 Dec 2023 1:30 pm
- Laryngeal Surgery for Voice Modification
7 Dec 2023 7:00 pm
- Unconstrained: The theory and practice of ecological dynamics in sport
5 Feb 2024 9:00 am