Forms and resources
Listed below are resources and forms for all researchers, including graduate research candidates. The sections labelled graduate research candidates and graduate research degree supervisors house forms specific to candidature and supervision.
Other forms and resources can be found at:
Graduate research candidates
Getting ready to apply
- Confidential Academic Referee Report Form [PDF 172KB]
- Guidelines to writing a research proposal [PDF 61KB]
- HDR Candidature and Scholarship Application Form [PDF 211KB]
- Revive Candidature Application [DOC 114KB]
- Application for transfer between graduate research candidature [DOC 48KB]
- Application to Defer your Candidature Offer [DOC 76KB]
During your candidature
- Change Course Load Application [DOC 36KB]
- Compulsory Coursework Variation Form [DOC 87KB]
- Elective Coursework Form [DOC 80KB]
- Extend Candidature/Scholarship Application [DOC 90KB]
- Notification Of Commencement Or Resumption Of A Postgraduate Scholarship And/Or Higher Degree Research Candidature [DOC 39KB]
- Leave of Absence (Suspension, Sick, Maternity leave) Application [DOC 393KB]
- Outside Research Application and Student Travel Form [DOC 310KB]
- To Whom it May Concern Letter Application (TWIMC)
- Vary Supervision Details Application [DOC 117KB]
Forms that related to changes to your candidature should to be sent to: email@example.com
Progress, finishing and thesis submission
- Notice of intention to submit (NOI) Form [DOC 78KB]
- Notice of intention to submit - practice-based (NOI-PB) [DOC 88KB]
- Authority to submit (ATS) Form [DOC 90KB]
- Guidelines for preparing a thesis citation [PDF 32KB]
- Revise and Resubmit Form [DOC 67KB]
- Access to Thesis Consent Form [DOC 44KB]
- Research Progress Panel (RPP) Form [DOC 61KB]
- Total Withdrawal From HDR Candidature Form [DOC 90KB]
Research Codes - Australian New Zealand Standard Research Classification
Useful resources for graduate researchers
If you require a website to support communication and recruitment for your research project, there are a number of options open to you.
La Trobe does not support the development of websites within the latrobe.edu.au domain for individual graduate research candidates. There are however a number of free and low cost options that provide basic functionality and easy to use interfaces. Our recommendations are:
You may also consider using the Google Docs platform. Google Docs provides an easy and free way to share information.
In some cases, where you are the member of a specialist research centre, team or unit that has its own La Trobe website, it may be possible to publish information on these pages. Clearance for this would need to be sought through the Business Development Manager or Director of the research centre, team or unit you are connected with.
It's essential to note that if you are intending to use your website to recruit for your research project that you need to have ethics approval before you begin recruitment. If you don't receive prior approval, you risk invalidating your collected data. You can apply for ethics approval via the ethics, biosafety and integrity webpage.
It's also important to keep in mind that you should consult with your research supervisor should you wish to publish any findings of your research project online.
Academic integrity, plagiarism and iThenticate
Being familiar and complying with academic integrity requirements and practices in your discipline is every candidate's responsibility. Citing sources accurately and appropriately is a core element of research integrity. If you have published during your candidature, or plan to, and want to use some or all of that material (text, data, ideas etc.) in your thesis, you need to manage that process carefully and discuss it with your supervisor. The GRS recommends using the text-matching software iThenticate to help avoid inadvertent plagiarism and manage citation practices, including self-citation.
Social media resources
The GRS recommends that all candidates establish a social media presence early on in candidature, particularly a Twitter and LinkedIn account. These resources can be used for communication of your research, for building networks and to support recruitment for your research project. The RED team run information sessions on the effective use of these resources.
Official La Trobe stationery
Branded stationery is available for use for communications related to your research project. You will need to contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request a copy for use.
- La Trobe letterhead
Conference presentation materials
The following PowerPoint templates are available to support the presentation of your research at conferences both within and external to La Trobe.
The GRS recommends that officially branded PowerPoint templates are used. You will need to contact email@example.com to request a copy for use.
- PowerPoint template
- Poster template for conference poster sessions
To request any of the graduate research documents listed above in an alternative format please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The policies and guidelines that relate to these forms can be viewed on the policies and guidelines page for graduate research.
Graduate research degree supervisors
Ethics and biosafety information and forms
To access information and forms on ethics and biosafety, please visit the ethics, biosafety and integrity website.