Professor Gordon Walker
College of Arts, Social Sciences and Commerce
La Trobe Law School
BA (Hons), LLB (Hons) Otago. Dip. Ed., LLM Adel., MBA AGSM., SJD Duke, Barrister and Solicitor, NZ, Vic., SA and High Court of Aust., Solicitor, NSW
Membership of professional associations
Barrister and Solicitor (NZ, Vic, SA and High Court of Australia).
Area of study
Professor Emeritus Dr. Gordon R Walker was previously the Professor of Commercial Law at La Trobe University School of Law, Melbourne, Australia in the period 1999-2015; Director of the LLM in Global Business Law and the LLM for International Students programs; Associate Dean (Research) in the (then) Faculty of Law & Management at La Trobe University in the period 2003-5 and as Head of the Law School, 2004-2007.
Professor Walker’s publications (as editor and co-author) include:
Securities Regulation in Australia and New Zealand, 2nd ed. (Sydney: LBC, 1998);
International Securities Regulation (New York: Westlaw), Vols I - VIII;
International Securities Regulation: Pacific Rim (New York: Westlaw), Vols I - V;
Balancing Act: Law, Policy and Politics in Globalisation and Global Trade (Sydney: Federation Press, 2004);
Commercial Applications of Company Law in New Zealand, 5th ed. (Auckland: CCH, 2015);
Law and Finance (Sydney: Federation Press, 2007), and
Financial Adviser and Broker Regulation in New Zealand (Auckland: CCH New Zealand, 2010).
In 1997-2000, he led the teams tasked with annotating the four key statutes governing the securities and futures industry in Malaysia.
Professor Walker is a member of the editorial boards of the Company and Securities Law Journal, the Global Finance Journal and Law in Context. His appointments include:
- Paul Hastings Visiting Professor in Corporate and Financial Law at the University of Hong Kong, Faculty of Law and the Asian Institute of International Financial Law (2006)
- International Business Law Expert, Asian Development Bank, Manila, 2006 ongoing (Solomon Islands, Kingdom of Tonga, Republic of Vanuatu and Timor Leste)
- Advisor, European Bank of Reconstruction and Development, 2011-12 (UK, Hungary, Russia and Armenia)
- Conference Chair of the 14th Global Finance Conference, Melbourne (2007)
- Visiting Fellow at the Institute of Asia-Pacific Business Law and Wallace S. Fujiyama Visiting Professor at the William S. Richardson School of Law, the University of Hawaii, HI, USA (2008 and 2010)
- Visiting Professor at The University of Houston Law Center, TX, USA, 2009 ongoing.
- Adjunct Professor at Hong Kong University of Science & Technology (2009)
- Adjunct Professor at Texas Tech University Law School, TX, USA, 2009 ongoing.
- Heinrich Hertz Foundation Fellow, Germany (2010)
- Adjunct Professor, University of Muenster Law School, 2012-14.
- Adjunct Professor, Te Piringa, Faculty of Law, University of Waikato, 2012 ongoing.
- Professor of Law, Hamad Bin Khalifa University in association with Northwestern University School of Law (The Pritzker School of Law), Chicago, Illinois, USA at Education City, Doha, Qatar, 2015 ongoing.
Consultant to the Asian Development Bank on company and commercial law reform. Consultant to the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development.
Books and publications
- G. Walker and B. Fisse, eds., Securities Regulation in Australia and New Zealand (Auckland; Oxford University Press, 1994), i-xlvi + 909 pages. Reviewed (1995) Victorian Bar News 97 and (1996) 17 NZULR 229-230.
- Walker and Rosen, eds., International Securities Regulation - Pacific Rim, Vols. 1-V. (New York: Westlaw). This five-volume service covers thirteen Pacific Rim countries (Australia, China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, New Zealand, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam). The format comprises Country Commentary plus key legislation in English. It is updated 3-6 times annually. This service is subscribed to by law schools (e.g., Columbia, Yale, NYU, Michigan, Stanford, Duke) and law firms (e.g., Wilson, Sonsini; Skadden Arps).
- Rosen & Walker, eds., International Securities Regulation, Vols. 1-VIII. (New York: Westlaw). These eight volumes comprise the leading service on securities regulation in the world.
- G. Walker, General Editor, B. Fisse and I. Ramsay, eds., Securities Regulation in Australia and New Zealand (Sydney: Law Book Company, 1998), i-xli + 1-794.
- G. Walker et al, The Annotated Statutes of Malaysia: The Securities Industry (Central Depositories) Act 1991 (Kuala Lumpur: Butterworths Asia, 1998), i-xvi + 1-101.
- G. Walker et al, The Annotated Statutes of Malaysia: The Futures Industry Act 1993 (Kuala Lumpur: Butterworths Asia, 1998), i-xix +1-200.
- G. Walker et al, The Annotated Statutes of Malaysia: The Securities Industry Act 1983 (Kuala Lumpur: Butterworths Asia, 1998), i-xix + 1-331.
- G. Walker et al, The Annotated Statutes of Malaysia: The Securities Commission Act 1993 (Kuala Lumpur: Butterworths Asia, 2000), i-xiv + 1-259.
- G. Walker, T. Reid, P. Hanrahan, I. Ramsay and G. Stapledon, Commercial Applications of Company Law in New Zealand (Auckland: CCH NZ, 2002), i-x +1-722 plus Teachers Manual (2003).
- J. Chen and G. Walker, eds., Balancing Act: Law, Policy and Politics in Globalisation and Global Trade (Sydney: Federation Press, 2004), 1-356.
- G. Walker, T. Reid, P. Hanrahan, I. Ramsay and G. Stapledon, Commercial Applications of Company Law in New Zealand, rev. 2nd ed (Auckland: CCH NZ, 2005), i-x +1-790 plus Teachers Manual (2005).
- G. Walker, ed., Law and Finance (Sydney: Federation Press, 2007), 1-178.
- G.Walker et al, Commercial Applications of Company Law in New Zealand, rev. 3rd ed (Auckland: CCH NZ, 2009), i-xi +1-827 plus Teachers Manual (2009).
- G. Walker and A. Pekmezovic, Financial Adviser and Broker Regulation in New Zealand (Auckland: CCH New Zealand Limited, 2010) i-ix + 1-426.
Articles, chapters in books, shorter articles, notes and reviews
200 plus publications as of November 2010. Publications in law journals and reviews include:
- Australia: Adelaide Law Review; Federal Law Review; Criminal Law Journal; Bulletin of the Australian Society of Legal Philosophy; Company and Securities Law Journal; Journal of Banking and Finance Law and Practice; Australian Journal of Corporate Law; Bond Law Review, and, Law in Context.
- United Kingdom: Oxford Journal of Legal Studies; Journal of International Banking Law; International Company and Commercial Law Review; International Trade Law and Regulation; Corporate Governance and Journal of International Banking Law and Regulation.
- New Zealand: New Zealand Law Journal; New Zealand Universities Law Review; New Zealand Law Review; Canterbury Law Review; Otago Law Review and Law Talk.
- United States of America: Indiana Journal of Global Legal Studies; IPC Report of the American Bar Association; Houston Journal of International Law; Arizona Journal of International and Comparative Law and Advances in International Banking and Finance.
- Asia: Asian Commercial Law Review; The Corporate Governance Quarterly; Company Secretary (Hong Kong), and, the Hong Kong Law Journal.
- Insider trading in Australia and New Zealand: Information that is "generally available" [PDF 1.2MB]
- The CER Agreement and Trans-Tasman Securities Regulation: Part 1 [PDF 97KB]
- The CER Agreement and Trans-Tasman Securities Regulation: Part 2 [PDF 84KB]
- Planning an Overseas Legal Career [PDF 297KB]
- Overseas Legal Career Destinations [PDF 493KB]
- Transitional Adjustment Problems in Contemporary Vietnamese Company Law [PDF 118KB]
- Securities Regulation, Efficient Markets and Behavioural Finance: Reclaiming the Legal Genealogy [PDF 2.7MB]
- Re-organisation of Market Segments and Transparency Standards at the Frankfurt Stock Exchange (Part I) [PDF 505 KB]
- Re-organisation of Market Segments and Transparency Standards at the Frankfurt Stock Exchange (Part II) [PDF 581KB]
- Long & Walker, "Abuse of Market Dominance by State Monopolies in Vietnam" (2012) 34 (2) Houston J of Int. Law 187-229.
- Fox, Walker & Pekmezovic, "Corporate Governance Research on New Zealand Listed Companies" (2012) 29 (1) Arizona J of Int. & Comp. Law 1-48.
- Maume & Walker, "Enforcing Financial Markets Law in New Zealand"  NZ Law Rev 263-300.
- Walker & Pekmezovic, "Legal Transplanting: IFIs and Secured Transactions law Reform in South Pacific Island Nations" (2013) 25 (3) NZULR 560-586.
- Walker & Simpson, "Insider Conduct Regulation in New Zealand: Exploring the Enforcement Deficit"  NZ Law Rev 521-548