Apply for funding to support your research project

During your candidature, you'll have a number of options to apply for grants to support your graduate research.

Research Professional

The Research Professional database contains a comprehensive list of funding opportunities for researchers. The Graduate Research School has developed a tailored search algorithm to identify the most relevant search opportunities. Use the link below to search for current funding. Note that if you wish, the search variables can be modified to suit your needs.

The funding opportunities below are administered by external organisations, therefore you will need to carefully follow each organisation's application procedures. Talk to your supervisor in the first instance to seek support in preparing a proposal submission or contact our RED team.

Search now

Frequently asked questions about graduate research grants

Refer to these commonly asked questions about applying for and accessing research grants during your candidature.

I'd really like some money for my research, please.

Good thinking! There's a lot of money to apply for if you know where to find it. You can:

  1. go ahead and ask your supervisor – some schools offer a basic grant to all candidates for expenses related to your research project.
  2. ask your Graduate Research Coordinator about local funding opportunities
  3. apply for an Intellectual Climate Fund grant offered (annually) by the Graduate Research School (GRS)
  4. use the tailored Research Professional search (above)
  5. talk with the Grants Team in the Research Office for support and mentoring in applying for grants.

I already have a grant – how do I get paid?

Congratulations! Essentially there are three options:

  1. if it is research income, the Grants Team at the Research Office must facilitate payment
  2. for a grant you've been awarded directly (i.e. you've applied for it without university support), contact the Grants Team at the Research Office for advice in the first instance – they may need to report it as research income
  3. if it's a grant associated with money your supervisor has been awarded, contact your supervisor or School Finance contact (if you do not have access to the Staff Intranet, your supervisor should be able to provide you with the contact details).

What do you mean by 'research income'?

  • Is the money connected to an external grant, for example, through the National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) or Australian Research Council (ARC)?
  • Is the funding otherwise reportable through HERD(C) (Higher Education Research Data Collection)?
  • Is the funding for a PhD stipend (other than an Australian Postgraduate Award (APA) or La Trobe University Postgraduate Research Scholarship (LTUPRS))?
  • Is the funding for a purpose other than travel to a conference?
  • Is it for more than $5,000, or are you not sure?

If the answer to any of these questions is "yes", contact the Grants Team in the Research Office for advice.

All external research funding is administered through the Research Office .Your supervisor will need to submit a Research Activity Statement (RAS) so a member of the Research Office can arrange for what is called a WBS to be set up – this is where the funds are allocated. Finance will then arrange to receive the funds from the external funding body (for example, by generating an invoice). Once the WBS has been set up, you or the Chief Investigator (CI) on the grant will need to go through established finance processes to access the funds.

My school have awarded me an internal grant.

Congratulations! Talk with you School Finance contact (if you do not have access to the Staff Intranet, your supervisor should be able to provide you with the contact details). The GRS can help you with any associated variation to candidature, such as travel or outside research.

How to contact the Grants Team in the Research Office

Phone: 03 9479 1134

Talk with someone in the Grants Team – phone to see who's available.