Single subject entry

Enrolling in a single subject or 'unit' gives you a taste of university life and is a great pathway into a La Trobe course.

Completing a single subject doesn't guarantee your admission, but a strong performance can help your application. You might also be eligible for credit ‒ also known as advanced standing ‒ if you do start a degree.

How do I apply?

  • Search for a subject and check the requirements

    Search for a subject and check the 'requisite rules' section to check any enrolment conditions. If you haven't studied at university before, we recommend starting with first-year subjects.

  • Submit your application

    Applications close one week before the start of the subjects. Subject information can be found in the Handbook.

    Key Dates are available from the Academic Calendar.

Things to note:

  • Not all subjects (units) are offered each year, and changes may occur to subjects, fees, assessment and admission requirements. The University may also set limits on the number of students in a subject.
  • Approvals are not automatic, La Trobe has the right to refuse admission to any applicant.
  • If you’re an international student, you must meet your study visa conditions.

How much do single subjects cost?

To find out the cost of the subjects that interest you, look up the unit code in our fee calculator. Keep in mind, you may also need to buy textbooks or reading materials.

International applicants

If you are an international student, please note that student visa holders cannot extend the duration of their course as a result of undertaking Single Subject Enrolment.

Enrolling in single subjects is conditional on having the right visa from the Department of Home Affairs. If you hold an Australian visa, please check whether undertaking single subject enrolment is allowed under your current Australian visa conditions.

You can check your visa entitlements through Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO).

Entry schemes

These options can also help with your application: