Single Session Thinking: Families with Children and Youth
Learn to adapt Single Session Thinking principles to working with families with children aged 5–17 years.
Narrated by clinical child psychologist Professor Jenn McIntosh, Single Session Thinking: Families with Children and Youth (SST FCY) builds upon the learnings of the self-paced online course, Single Session Thinking (SST).
In SST FCY, you will have the opportunity to learn to adapt SST principles to working with families with children, aged 5–17 years, who present with behavioural, social, and emotional difficulties. The content will draw on the current peer-reviewed research on childhood internalising and externalising conditions. On a practical level, this course shows ways in which you can incorporate a single session approach into family work with children present in the room.
You can expect interviews with leading family therapists and resources to help you implement these practices in your work. The program also features clinical insights from Karen Story and Dr. Paul Denborough, leading practitioners in this space.
Watch this ‘sneak peek’ to learn more about the course. Click to view the video.
Self-paced online, available 24/7
5 CPD hours
$231.00 (GST included)
EOFY Price Reduction
Prof. Jenn McIntosh
Recommended Prior Learning
Single Session Thinking is recommended as a precursor to this training.
- Module 1: Be introduced to SST and its underpinnings in family therapy and systems thinking, and learn about the rationale, family and service benefits, and evidence for SST FCY
- Module 2: Build your foundations of SST FCY using Family Systems Theory and techniques, and develop the skills for applying SST to work with families in the childhood years
- Module 3: Use the research evidence on childhood mental health disorders to support SST with families
- Module 4: Learn to have meaningful engagement with children, adolescents and their families and pick up practical strategies and tools for working with them in a session
- Module 5: Hear Bouverie therapists reflect on working with families with children and adolescents and find out how you can make the most of a single conversation
What will you Learn?
On completion of SST FCY, you will have an understanding of:
- The foundations of SST
- How to apply SST to work with families with children and youth
- Use the mental health research evidence to support SST working with families
- How to engage young people – with SST-friendly strategies and resources
A diverse range of practitioners working in the child and adolescent mental health field.
Single Session Thinking: Families with Children and Youth in Practice is the practice companion to the self-paced online training. It builds on the online self-paced module and is aimed to bring together concepts from working with the whole family with children and young people within a Single Session framework. Applicable for practitioners in the child and adolescent field, it has a focus on how to include parents and carers to adopt a whole of family approach for better outcomes.