Tourism, Hospitality and Event Management
La Trobe commenced teaching Tourism and Hospitality in 1996 and Events Management in 2010. We have a small group of staff who are highly active in research in these areas. Our main research areas include:
- Destination Marketing
- Tourism and the Media
- Cultural Heritage
- Health and Wellness Tourism
- National Parks and Nature-based Tourism
Our approach to research is multi-disciplinary, combining perspectives from both Business and Social Sciences. In the Australian Government's Education Research Excellence Scheme, we are rated as at World Standard.
A number of our staff hold key international positions in research leadership. These include:
- Professor Geoffrey Crouch as Editor of the Journal of Travel Research
- Associate Professor Warwick Frost and Associate Professor Jennifer Laing as Editors of the Routledge Advances in Events Research book series
- Associate Professor Warwick Frost and Associate Professor Jennifer Laing as conveners of the biennial International Tourism and Media Conference series. The series commenced in 2004. The most recent conference was the Eighth and was staged in Liverpool, UK in July 2018.
If you are interested in finding out more about our research interests, or wish to get in touch, please contact Associate Professor Warwick Frost.