About the collection
The Sandhurst Collection, began its life in the Sandhurst Mechanics’ Institute and Free Library in 1854. This physical collection has moved many times and has been under the custodianship of the University (and previously the Bendigo College of Advanced Education) at the current Flora Hill site since 1976. The Sandhurst Collection is a valuable part of Bendigo's educational history. It includes rare and fragile books and other items of cultural significance for the Bendigo community dating back to the 1850s and provides a rare insight into both the formal and self-education practices of the Victorian gold rush era.
As well as digitising the most valuable items in the collection, the Library is currently adding records for the Sandhurst Collection to our online catalogue.
Access to Peter Thompson's Catalogue of the Library of the Sandhurst Mechanic's Institute and Free Library may be requested at the Heyward Library at La Trobe's Bendigo campus, or by email to email@example.com