Interlibrary Loan and Document Delivery Service
You can request copies of book chapters and journal articles from La Trobe University or another library and borrow physical items like books from another library via our Interlibrary Loan and Document Delivery Service (ILDDS). ILDDS service is available to students and staff.
Request an Interlibrary Loan or Document Delivery
- Sign in to Library Search
- From the menu at the top of the page, choose 'Document Delivery'
You can check the status of your request at any time under ‘Requests’ in your Library Account.
Document Delivery FAQs
I found a resource but can’t access it. Do I have to type the results in another form to make a request?
When you search for a book, chapter or article and the words ‘No full-text’ are displayed with the title in the search results, you'll need to make a request.
To make a request:
- Select the item’s title and a new page will display
- In the ‘Get It’ section, select 'Document Delivery'. This will pre-populate a form with most of the publication details
- For a book chapter, ensure the ‘Chapter’ field is completed
- Complete the form and select 'Request'.
How can I track my Document Delivery requests?
Your active Document Delivery requests are trackable via the Library homepage, by selecting 'My Account', then 'Requests'.
What items can be requested and how long will it take?
Copies of journal articles and book chapters are usually received in 2-7 days, loans are usually received in 1-2 weeks. Overseas loans take 2-4 weeks.
If the item is already on loan or missing from a library, this may delay supply. Enquire about the Rush Service for urgent requests by sending an email to Interlibrary loans.
Some items are less likely to be available, such as:
- technical reports and standards
- recently published books (NOTE: we may purchase a new book if it falls within our collection policies)
- audio-visual materials
- whole volumes or issues of periodicals
- textbooks materials for class reserve or group use
- rare books
- genealogical resources
- reference materials
- computer software and manuals
- electronic books.
How long can I borrow an item and can it be renewed?
The lending library assigns the loan period. This ranges from 2-8 weeks.
If you need more time to use a Document Delivery item, you must request a renewal before the due date. To request a renewal, email Interlibrary loans with your name, student/staff number, book title and required due date.
Not all libraries grant loan renewals. We'll request the renewal and advise you by email.
How will I be notified when my requests arrive?
You'll receive an email when your item is ready for pick up from your selected campus library.
If you have any questions about your request, please email Interlibrary loans.
Where can I return items?
Items can be returned at the return chutes at the following La Trobe University campus libraries:
- Bundoora (Melbourne)
- City (Collins St)
Who do I contact for Document Delivery help?
Who can use the service
For Melbourne (Bundoora), City Campus (Collins Street), Bendigo, Albury-Wodonga, Mildura or Shepparton
If you're a staff member or student working or studying on campus, you can request the following items through the Interlibrary Loan and Document Delivery Service:
- physical items like books and some other physical item formats
- copies of book chapters and journal articles.
For The Alfred, Austin Hospital (ONJCRI), Bendigo Clinical School, Bouverie Centre, Chisholm Institute, Northern Hospital, Royal Melbourne Hospital, placement students, Sydney Campus and those who live more than 50km from any La Trobe University campus
If you're a staff member or student working or studying off campus, you can request the following items through the Interlibrary Loan and Document Delivery Service:
- Copies of book chapters and journal articles from La Trobe University and other non-La Trobe libraries
If you meet the off campus criteria above and would like to request physical items you must first register for Remote Delivery.
Once you've registered, you can request:
- Physical items from La Trobe University via Library Search – simply select ‘Remote Delivery: Remote Address’ as the pickup location when requesting an item online.
- Physical items from other libraries via ILDDS – select ‘Work Address’ as the pickup location when requesting an item online.
For outside of Australia
If you’re a staff member or student working or studying offshore, you can request the following items through the Interlibrary Loan and Document Delivery Service:
- copies of book chapters and journal articles from La Trobe University and other libraries.
The Australian Copyright Act governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material.
Under the Act, libraries are authorised to supply a copy as long as the copy is not used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research and that the amount that is copied is in accordance with copying limits laid down by the Act.
The limits are as follows:
- one journal article per issue of a periodical, two or more articles per issue if those articles are on exactly the same subject.
- one book chapter OR 10 per cent of selected pages as long as that 10 per cent does not cover two whole chapters.
The Library reserves the right to refuse to accept a request for a copy if it believes that fulfilling the request would involve violation of the copyright law.
For further Copyright information please refer to the Copyright Hub.
Services for other libraries
Document delivery and interlibrary loans for libraries
La Trobe University libraries can supply most items from its collections to libraries registered through Libraries Australia. More detailed information on our service is located in:
Libraries can submit requests via:
- Libraries Australia Gateway (LADD)
- email request (only for libraries unable to request via LADD). Please email Interlibrary loans with request details.
We're unable to process email requests from individuals. Please ask your library to use the steps above to order on your behalf.
Requesting a La Trobe University thesis
If LTU hold a physical and digital copy of a thesis, the physical copy can be ordered as a loan via document supply to other Australian libraries.
Our institutional repository (OPAL) provides access to theses with open access permission granted by the authors. Access varies depending on the specific thesis and the permission specified by the author. Please check our OPAL resource first for your required thesis.
You can request theses in our Library catalogue that are not available in our repository. Libraries can order a copy if embargoes are not present. Please complete and return a copyright declaration form to Interlibrary loans.
Australian libraries should create a new LADD request for payment and advise you of the request no. via email.
Allow three weeks for email delivery, as the thesis may need to be digitised. Invoices are sent for payment if libraries cannot pay through the LADD system.
- $21.10 when already digitised
- $110.00 when digitisation needs to be processed.
Allow three weeks for email delivery, as the thesis may need to be digitised. Invoices are sent for payment.
- $19.00 AUD when already digitised
- $99.00 AUD when digitisation needs to be processed.
- Libraries Australia payment
- IFLA ILL vouchers
- invoice (credit card)